Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

BoM radar to get you home dry

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by lornetkowiec, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey all,

Not sure if this has been posted before but looking at the radar this arvo
    I was able to see when I had a clear passage home and the worst of the rain blew over=D>. Has helped me stay dry on more than one occasion, and there are radars all over oz
  2. Welcome to 4 years ago :)
  3. Haha no worries delete the thread then, couldn't find it in the search
  4. Hehe yeah mate, bom radar has been accessible for what......... you know, im sure ive been using it for more then 10 years... maybe not.
  5. I hear they've got the internet on computers now.
  6. I have this phone, and i can carry it in my pocket !

and ... I can view this, what you call RADAR on the phone even !

7. They have computers now???????????
  8. i have a sundial to tell the time!

9. My sundial tells weather to !!

If it is wet -rainy
    If it is dry- not rainy
  10. Perhaps more pertinent to us; a few geeky types have written programs which take the current location of their mobile phone, download the appropriate radar map and then an (imaginary) box of a certain size is drawn around their location. If there's any rainfall occuring in that region, the phone notifies 'em they're about to get wet. ;)

It'd be kinda useful to have weather radar overlayed onto the GPS map display - that way the rider can decide whether they'll only get wet for a second and be dry from then on, or if it's best to pull over and put on wet weather gear.

(There's been a few long-distance touring trips where I've gotten wet, pulled over for a few minutes to put on wet weather gear, then it's stopped raining 50 metres down the road and been dry (and hot!) the rest of the way)
  11. ^^^ Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but the BOM radar has the option of adding roads to their display - under "map features".
  12. I wish mine had that feature... I'm not advanced enough... :(

Can I get it as an added extra?
  13. I could retrofit it for you, though it might get expensive (depending on the exact model you have, access, etc.).
  14. Oh thank you so much! Yes, I have money. Is $10,000 okay? I don't want to seem cheap or anything... but it's all I've got. 8-[ :(
  15. Wellll... you're almost a mate, so I might be able to swing it if you chuck in the traditional case of beer.
  16. My god. Harsh Week has overflowed onto Netrider....

To the OP, there's a nifty app on the Android Market called "Aussie Weather Radar". Very handy if you're out in the boonies somewhere and it's looking dodgy. But, of course, if there is no 3G coverage, then you're on your own...
  17. Blue tongue or James Squire?
  18. Schneider Aventinus Eisbock? 8-[
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.