Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bollwell HD200 vs Bug Espresso

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by dhayes1963, Aug 19, 2006.

1. I want to buy a scooter and have narrowed my choice down to the Bolwell HD200 (171cc) and the Bug Espresso (150cc). Can anyone provide opinions on these scooters to help me make my choice ? I'm on a tight budget and there is about $1,500 difference in price (based on scooter inc. on roads and top box), plus I need to allow funds for gear (helmet, jacket etc) and insurance. Thanks.

2. If the Bolwell is only 171cc then go for the Espresso. I hate it when the advertised size doesnt equal the real size.

Mind you, I would recommend the Espresso anyway. We (wife and I) have had espressos for about 10 months. Hers has done about 5000km mine about 12000km. They are powerful enough to travel safely on motorways and the big wheels make it really stable at all speeds.
  3. My wife Scoota-Jen has the HD200 and i have ridden it a few times. Sits on 100k's on the freeway no prob. I am over 100kg. Can lane split to front and beat the traffic off the mark no probs. Comfort factor is excellent, i am 6'1". Also the 16" wheels makes for a much more comfortable ride. Dont know much about Bug so i cant give my 2c worth.
  4. IIRC, the HD200 (or, the HD171 as it SHOULD be named) is liquid cooled, whereas the Espresso is air cooled. One would suspect that a well-maintained liquid cooled engine would last considerably longer between major rebuilds than an air cooled one.

The Espresso also looks kinda cheesy in comparison to the HD171, but they do say the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. On the other hand, I should be outraged about the false advertising of the HD171, and not recommending it out of principle.

I think it's fair to say that in most cases you get what you pay for. I would suspect that the extra $1,500 or so spent on the HD171 would be money well spent.
  5. So I'm not sure whether you'd love or loathe the M50 then. ;)
  6. my sister has a bug espresso ,, im over 100 kg, and can easily get the thin kup to 85 + kmph

its a great little scooter, well built and yeah the larger wheels id reccommend!

not a bad choice,,, how much are you looking to spend tho?

7. Others would say there's alot less to go wrong in an air cooled engine + the fact that alot of the parts for air cooled things are way cheaper than water cooled things (Eg. my GPz 750 aircooled head gasket kit was just under $200, a water cooled one would have been $380)

My last bike blew a top end head gasket when a o-ring shat itself in the cooling system and I didn't know till it was too late, funnily enough it happened only days after another mate told me "F#$% that water cooled cr@p, its only more things to go wrong"
  8. Thanks everyone for your advice. I had test-ridden the Bolwell and was impressed. I will try to test the Espresso and see what I think.