Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Boingk's CBR125R 'Commuterlite' Track Bike

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by boingk, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Hey there guys, might've seen my thread about a cheap commuter bike for Newcastle...

...well I can't resist it and have decided to deck it out in some shiny new parts!

The idea is to keep her road regoed and go to the occasional race meet, where the Post Classic guys have a race class for 125cc 4-stroke road bikes. Apparently the little CBR's are reasonably competetive so I figured it'd be a bit of fun at the very least. If that

On the way is a K&N air filter, Iridium spark plug and Akrapovic full-system exhaust package. All gotten very cheaply off eBay - hopefully not too good to be true.

I'm also considering fitting a 'Repsol' bodywork kit as they can be had cheaply as well - overkill, poserism... awesomeness? Any thoughts?

More updates as they happen.

Cheers - boingk
  2. nice, I will be watching this one. Racing 4 stroke 125s sounds like fun
  3. I reckon! Get a load of the onboard:

- boingk
  4. Got the exhaust today, its a Yoshimura and not an Akrapovic as I said earlier... must've been nightshifted or something. Anyway it weighs about 2.5kg for the full system and saves a whole heap of weight over the old system alone. The header is nicely tapered out to the silencer and the whole thing fit really well, definitely recommend it.

Heres a pic of it fitted:

Its a tight fit and you need to be careful to tension everything up properly, but other than that its a no-brainer installation and took 10min on my unfaired bike.

It sounds pretty decent (for a small single) and gives you a bit more 'go', I especially noticed the increased enthusiasm for keeping up with posted limits.

Cheers all, more as it happens - boingk
  5. K&N air filter installed, looks a lot cleaner than the old paper filter which was starting to get to the end of its service life. It also had a weird-looking perforated metal baffle... emissions regs perhaps?

Anyway the filter install was a nobrainer and made the bike run noticeably better, especially in conjunction with the exhaust. I left the stock intake tract alone as it seems fairly well designed for a cheap roadbike. I don't think I'll be winning races anytime soon with her, but she's certainly going a lot better than stock!

Next on the list of modifications is the homebrew EFI tuner and a 14t front sprocket for zippier acceleration and a usable 6th gear.

Cheers - boingk
  6. Crap, now I want one :D
  7. For the outlay to giggles ratio I am sold on the idea.
    I just need to restrain myself until after my holiday.
  8. Cheers guys, and yes its an absolute hoot!

I fitted a 14 tooth front sprocket today, replacing the stock 15 toother. She accelerates a lot more happily and will top out in 6th gear more easily, too. She's a lot more usable in general and I'd definitely recommend this to anyone, especially if you're on the larger size as I am at 6'2"/90kg.

Other items turning up in the mail today included some 0~5,000 ohm potentiometers, high turn-count items to let me fine tune the air/fuel ratio if it turns out that is needed.

Oh, and for the record if you buy an out of state bike and bring it into NSW you need to blueslip it, then rego and CTP. Only then can you derego it in its home state and get a refund of any remaining rego/ctp on it.

Cheers - boingk
  9. Selling this one on due to not using her enough, unfortunately.

Can be found on ebay, ending time 9am this Sunday.

Cheers - boingk