Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Boingk's Aprilia Project [Top end rebuild w/pics]

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by boingk, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Hi everyone, been a long time without a post (or a ride, sadly) but I reckon I just made up for it by getting these in cooperation with my brother:

There's a totally complete bike with some easy miles on it and then the bike in bits which needs a few minor bits, some prettying up and assembly. Thing is, its also essentially new in terms of k's :grin:

Basically we're going to work things out and decide who gets what as it was a 'bulk' buy. Plans at the moment involve registering the complete one as is and working on the low km one, or swapping fairings and needed bits to the low km bike and building the higher mileage one up.

Nothing fancy, just some brothers with first bikes. Also...a good mate has spraying gear, so whatever bike gets the dodgy fairing will probably also get some sort of hectic paint job, haha.

Any thoughts, comments or ideas are welcome.

Cheers - boingk
  2. good to see someone snapped up that Ebay bargain....hope it works out for you guys :)

get a set of aftermarket pipes and rejet to suit and you'll have a ball....don't forget to take it to the track too
  3. Cheers mekros, was thinking of that for sure. One already has a performance pipe on it and the other just has the stockie so I'll see what I can dredge up.

As for track days...I live only a short ride from Wakefield. Nuff said :wink:

I'll keep things posted here - boingk
  4. Update - got the bikes back home today after picking them up in a mates ute from Sydney. The low-km one is the one with the full fairing and gear on, not the other way around as I said before. Its ready to roll except for its battery, which is charging away right now. Thats my brothers bike, he's chipping in the majority of cash for it...

...my bike is the one thats in pieces. I'm paying $1,500. It needs a new clip-on on one side, a battery, a rear tyre, a few indicators and the seats recovered. Also, its due for a top-end service in 4,000km. I reckon it'll be the following to get it back on the road:

$325 for inspection plus rego & CTP,
    $100 for a good battery,
    $50 for cheap LED indicators x 4,
    $50 for the bar on one side,
    $50 for the seat to be redone.

So around the $600 mark plus whatever a rear tyre and a new ignition key end up costing me. I did get a new rear sprocket and chain however, plus a few bottles of brake fluid, motor and transmission oil, and coolant plus some carby cleaner and chain lube. All up I'd say I'm pretty happy.

Updates will keep on keeping on.

Cheers - boingk
  5. Righteo! Gearbox oil drained and changed, coolant flushed and changed, and fuel tank refitted with new hose and some premium in it. Carby is ready to be cleaned and the rear tyre will be replaced ASAP - got a quote for $200~$250 from the local for good Dunlops in 150/60 ZR17, although it will take a 130/70 or 140/60.

I've soaked the piston and bore with a teaspoon or two of 2T oil for the better part of a week to ward off any seizing that might happen when I try and fire her up. Also a new plug has been fitted, an NGK BR10ES. Iridium plugs were $20 or thereabouts a pop, so nuts to that for a two-stroke!

Seats are going to be recovered sometime this week, will work on getting the thing running first, however. Should be easier now I've got a key for it - took the seat lock down to the local locksmith and had a key a day later for $17.50. Sure beats $100 for a new ignition barrel, haha. Also, indicators are going on this week - anyone know if the standard 9mm jobs will fit? If so I'll grab some from Supercheap.

The fairing is shaping up for respraying nicely, with a progression of 400/800/1200 grit making it silky smooth in a few minutes a panel. I'm thinking a brilliant white for the fairings, but am open to suggestions on colours. Whaddaya reckon, everyone?

Lastly, my brothers RS is almost on the road. Total fluid change and carby rejet saw it zinging down the road, ready for a blueslip. That all happens tomorrow, so fingers crossed they don't ping it on anything. Don't see what they could say about it as all the lights work and it doesn't leak oil or smoke too much...so yeah, should work out. He says it feels pretty slick just on the short run he's had, can't wait to get mine up to scratch now.

Cheers all - boingk.
  6. Update on my bike - carby cleaned and mixture adjusted (every jet was blocked...every damn one!), seats being redone in black vinyl and dual-density foam. Indicator bug was fixed, turned out that the original flasher unit wasn't working. I bodged a spare I had in the glovebox of my car into its place, works a charm. The indicators are the rubber-stalked 'off-road' halogen type, quite small but fairly bright. $50 for the four.

On firing up, the bike sounded quite good. It runs without choke fairly well and doesn't seem to have any problems in revving, meaning the powervalve isn't sticking. Anywho, now all I really need to get it back on the road is to purchase some miscellaneous nuts and bolts for the rear lighting assembly, gearchange assembly and left bar. Also, a shim for the lefthand bar attachment point may be able to be made up by a mate with proper experience and equipment. Either that, or we'll just weld the sucker in place to make sure nothing unpleasant happens at speed.

Throw in a rear tyre and the fairings, and I'm set! Woo-hoo! Seriously inspired by my brothers bike, which is now registered and a bucket of fun.

Expense so far has been:
    $70 - Battery
    $50 - Indicators
    $40 - Castrol TTS 2T oil, 2 litres
    $20 - 5L coolant
    $18 - New ignition and seat key
    $15 - Semi-synthetic Nulon 75W-90 gearbox oil
    $10 - EFI-grade pressure and corrosion resistant fuel hosing
    $10 - 2 NGK plugs
    $10 - Sanding equipment

Total of $243. The seats will probably boost that total towards $400, and the various nuts and bolts may add up to $10~15. Rear tyre of around $250 and rego/CTP/stamp duty/plate fee will make up $350. Total on-road cost in addition to purchase should therefore be around the 1.1k mark with some quality paint on the fairings. I can definitely live with that :wink:

Cheers all, will post photos when I can - boingk
  7. Boingk's Aprilia Project [New Pics 26/03]

Here we go, though the pics would get here earlier than this but other stuff got in the way, including a trip to Canberra to see the Aprilia dealer about a new front sprocket circlip and left-side handlebar.

Bike as it is now:

New indicators on rear:

Front sprocket in need of circlip:

Bodging of flasher unit onto bike:

Some fairings prepped and ready to roll:

Hopefully next update I'll have gotten the bars, circlip and seat onto it, and be able to ride it down for a new rear tyre. The fairings should go ahead this weekend, provided it isn't damp.

Cheers - boingk
    Cheers all - boingk
  8. AF1 is your friend!
  9. looking good, is your brothers bike back on the road?

Is the BR10ES the normal heat range plug used on the RS125? It seems a little high for a stroker that's going to be used on the road.
  10. cejay - Who or what is AF1? I'm guessing a dealer or aftermarket firm?

mekros - The standard for an RS125 is a BR9-something, however there is a notation stating that the 'Free Power' version needs a BR10ES. I'm assuming this statment is aimed at markets where the bikes are sold unrestricted, such as ours.

My brothers bike is back on the road and I did a bit of a write-up in the Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions forum. Its an absolute hoot to ride and feels alright to spend some time on. 100km/h sees 6500~7000rpm on the tach and is perfectly livable for a longer ride on the freeway (although I'd really rather a Beemer F 800 ST). The plug seems to be running fine in the bike so far, no worries at all. Our major worry was fitting a plug that was too hot, which would end up degrading the piston by causing pinging. I think we've avoided this, safe to say.

CHeers - boingk
  11. af1 is the aprilia forum:

I think a much better forum is the 125cc forum (if you can handle pommies :) )

Yeah we are the "Free power" market, but I'm still surprised that it needs a plug like that, especially if it is a commuter. You are right, if you get the plug too hot, then you will burn a hole right through your piston!

The best way to find out if your plug is right is to do a plug chop (I hope I'm not teaching you how to suck eggs, but you didn't state it explicitly)

Get the bike nice and warm and somewhere where you can get the bike wound out on full throttle. When oyu have the throttle pinned, pull in the clutch and flick the kill switch, coast to a stop and pull your plug out. That will give you the best indication of whether or not your plug is right.

It will give you a rough idea of jetting too, but the theoretical best is done on a dyno.
  12. Cheers for the links there, mekros. I've run into the first one after googling for instructions on how to do a top-end rebuild. Looks pretty simple, I'll be up for one in the next few thousand kay and will probably do it myself.

As for being a commuter, thats our excuse for finally getting bikes. :LOL:

I'll try the mid-ride plug inspection as you've suggested.

Cheers - boingk
  13. I think you need more than a circlip! New chain + sprockets definitely!
  14. duff_boy - Definitely with you on that one...which is why there are some new sprockets and a chain sitting around waiting to be fitted They came for free with the bike, so can't argue with that! I'm planning to baby it down with the old chain and get the fellows who do the rear tyre to fit the chain, as I don't have a link-splitter or a centre/rear stand. I might be able to get a splitter from a mate but theres probably only a marginal difference in labour cost anyway, as the rear has to come off for the tyre fitting anyway.

Also, anyone had any experiences with chain oilers? I've heard good things so may well invest in one...

Cheers - boingk
  15. Chain oilers are good when adjusted properly. The downside is that if there is not enough flow, your chain is dry. When there is too much flow, you get fling everywhere or worst case onto your back tyre!

If you don't care about your old chain, an angle grinder works very well as a chain remover :LOL: You can then buy yourself a clip link chain and fit that on, just remember the open end is at the back of the direction of travel.

If you've got the exhausts off, you can support the bike by something like cinderblocks or *cough milkcrates cough* where there is a nice solid flat section of frame or engine. I put a piece of wodd in between the "stand" and bike so I don't damage either bits. That allows you to work on getting the rear out much easier and quicker, and safer to work on the bike if you've done it right.
  16. Thanks mekros, shall ask a mate if I can borrow a cinderblock or two.

Meanwhile, on the fairing front, turns out my brother doesn't particularly dig the factory scheme and was going to strip his bike to paint it metallic blue and white with pearl. I stepped in and offered a prepped fairing, and I've got an almost brand spankers factory one in return! Woo-hoo!

Also, the parts for the handlebar and sprocket turned up so I'm in the process of fitting those. Pics of the thing assembled should be up this afternoon/evening sometime.

Cheers all - boingk
  17. I was thinking about the plug chop, you've got to hold full throttle, then kill switch and clutch. If you do it the other way, you will get the jettings for no throttle at high rpm rather than full throttle at full RPM.
  18. Haha so you picked up that awesome ebay bargain!!

I almost did - but have factors against me like no garage space etc. I'm glad I didn't as I don't think I could happily fix most of those problems on my own, carby flushing etc.

I run 9's on my aprilia and it runs fine (not racing etc) but I have 10's in case I want to. In fact I ordered boxes of each from the US rather than buying them each here as they are heaps cheaper that way. Got lots of spares now too haha.

I need to ask Loki how much gain the Gianelli exhaust gave him (if any) and whether he rejetted/dynoed ecu as I'm tossing up going JL, Jolly, Arrow, or Gianelli for my exhaust, but frankly if they don't give much power... what's the point.

I rode a gianelli 125 a few weeks ago (as test ride) and I thought it was maybe slightly more powerful, but it could have been the newer model RS (as opposed to ours) as it is lighter, and perhaps it was just me as I hadn't ridden for a couple months before hand while my bike was being sorted.

Keep us updated as it moves along!
  19. Cheers for the tip on the plugs AhrimaaN, although I don't think I'll look into it. It seems plug cleaning and regapping is a forgotten art these days, the answer is always 'get a new one'. Anyway...

...the bike is moving along well. Pics of it in its absolutely stripped state won't be coming as my phone with the pics on it got stolen. Not happy. Suffice to say I took a liking to it, even though it looks a lot better now with the fairings and tank back on. The circlip and handlebar went on without incident. I'll try and get some pics up sometime.

Meanwhile, I'm going to ride it (gingerly) down and get a new rear hoop on it, then book it in for a blueslip inspection. It only really needs a few finishing touches to make rego, and the tyre is the biggest of them. Indicators and other lights are all fine and dandy, so no worries there. Exhaust is staying stock for the process to make things easy. I used a whole can of degreaser over the engine and swingarm to help with appearances :shock: :LOL:

Wish me luck fellas! - boingk

PS: I kinda feel like I'm a character in that old-school PC/Sega game, 'Road Rash'. If I had to pick a character to be me, it'd be Mike. The bike most resembling mine is the 'Perro Pico'.
  20. Righteo. Battlax B92 on the rear, new O-ring chain courtesy of previous owner, and the carby has been tweaked with the help of my Dad and some jet-drills. In his words, it was the worst-looking carby he's ever seen.

Anyway, the upshot of all that is that I shot the bike through inspection and got it rego'd on Thursday afternoon. I then rode down to Dad's place in Nowra and stayed the night...brilliant ride through Kangaroo Valley and then back through the same and onto Goulburn via Penrose - highly recommend this ride, it was a ripper.

The carby still needs attention as the bike doesn't like to redline, and bogs down terribly after 9k. I'm thinking it might be the powervalve, but am leaning more towards the jetting. I've gone up probably two jet sizes, and it still feels like it could do with some more. It may just need new rings.

Pictures coming later on, just got called into work.

Cheers - boingk