Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Boingk's 1980 Suzuki GS850G

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by boingk, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Hey there guys, thought I'd document this here as well as GSResources dot com for all those who may be interested.

I bought her sight unseen on eBay and rocked up with a backpack of tools and consumables such as oil and brake fluid. We wrote up the sale, cash changed hands, and after a quick pushstart (flat battery) I was on my way - a quick trip initially to the closest convenient place to fix her up for rego inspection.

Here she is after I arrived at my girlfriend's place, 20 minutes away:

And the next day, after a wash, new engine oil and a freshly bled front brake system:

I got her regoed that morning and left for home that afternoon, some 320km away down the coast...

After a 6 hour trip due to a big traffic pileup I couldn't simply cut through (semi hit broken-down cars on the freeway then flipped and killed the driver) I made it home. She returned good fuel economy and really opened up - apparently she'd been sitting for a year while the new owner enjoyed his Bandit 1250.

Here she is outside work:

After a quick thrash later in the week to see how everything was holding up it became obvious I needed new rear shocks - the ones on there were original equipment and very much felt as though they'd had it.

I bought a reasonably priced set from japbikespares dot com with spring preload and cartridge rebound, 10mm longer than standard (330mm -> 340mm) to help quicken the steering a tad and compensate for my 90kg frame and foreseeable luggage/pillion.

They fit well, and after finetuning the preload I found a sweetspot where I could enjoy both sedate and sporty riding both solo and with a bit of luggage.
  2. I tested the shocks out properly by running down to say 'Hi' to my Dad, about 180km away in Nowra via some nice riding roads running through Nerriga.

They worked superbly, nothing on my VTR1000F in terms of poise or sporting performance but quite comfortable and controllable at speed, and a bargain, too, at $150 the pair posted. Nice.

The not-so-nice parts of the bike were also exposed, which included a choke knob that doesn't actuate the choke, clutch slip under extreme load (ie flogging it) and oil consumption... from leaking engine base, head & sump gaskets.

The speedo doesn't work, either, and is being substituted with an $8 bicycle computer for the meantime until I can trace the cause.

That's the road so far, I have a list of items on order to remedy the annoynaces but other than that she goes along well and seems to be solid and reliable. The bits on order are:
    • Master cylinder assembly
    • Dual braided brake lines
    • Clutch springs
    • Choke cable
    • Gasket set
    • Unifilter
    They'll be fitted as they arrive, the main ones being the gasket set as it will necessitate a fairly complete engine strip to install.

I'll update as I progress.

Cheers - boingk
  3. The GS850 was a big tub of lard, but I reckon you're going to enjoy this! A good buy.
  4. Very tidy. How many beers do you owe the rego inspector for the pass? ;)

Why the sweatband on the brake reservoir?
  5. Well at least you won't have any expense replacing the chain :LOL:
  6. Cheers guys, and yes she's a heavy old girl. Think its about 250 all up but she rides very nicely despite it.

The sweatband is hiding the white, flaky plastic master cylinder reservoir I'll be replacing. I reckon a stone from a passing car would shatter it easily.

- boingk
  7. #7 boingk, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    Parts time! I love going to the post office...

Heavy duty EBC clutch springs, choke cable, and Unifilter air filter. Can't wait to fit those, and can't wait to begin the engine teardown to fit the gasket set, either.

A new front brake assembly arrived, too, with black painted metal reservoir and chrome lever to match the original style.

Cheers for now - boingk
  8. Bike back from the shop with a redone seat, courtesy of Dad for my birthday a while ago.

Love it!

- boingk