Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bogging down?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by cmarico, Aug 17, 2012.

1. I'm not really sure how to describe this, but best I'd say is a flat spot.

Basically, at any RPM, if I'm going off to on throttle, it seems to bog down slightly if I don't turn the throttle enough. This can also happen if im just reducing my throttle input enough, that it bogs down slightly. It doesn't concern me too much in straight lines, but make cornering a bit unpredictable.

Any idea what this is called, what may be causing it, and most importantly, how I can fix it.

Oh, and it's a 2000 Kawasaki ZZR250.

2. Sticking throttle grip or cables?
    Excess free play in cables, possibly in conjunction with above?
    Or it might be an actual fuelling problem.
    Rule out the simple mechanical stuff first.
  3. sorry if this is rude mate if you know better type thing...may not be the case but still..

but perhaps you're just changing gears too early ....and to some extent you can expect it to bog down abit when you roll off the throttle as the weight transfer's from the rear to the front ?
  4. Reads like rich mixture. Anything changed? Air filter lately?
  5. Thanks guys, you've given me some things to check!

I only just got the bike, and didn't realise it when I took it for a test ride. I'll check out the filter, lube up the cables, and get by rpm's a bit higher and see what happens.

Thanks for the help. I'll report back with some news :)