Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Body position

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by klau, Jan 18, 2009.

1. #1 klau, Jan 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Came across this youtube link on body position:

Interesting how the guy talks about how it comes down to the pelvis, much like with bad posture (anterior tilt) or when you throw a punch (power).

2. Great video - thanks :)
  3. I have a theory in life. It's been consistent so far...

It's all in the hips! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  4. Thanks for the link.
    Quite helpful to newbies :grin:
  5. My bike is more suited to upright riding then sportsbike, but after looking at the video, I tried this yesterday sitting on the bike, on the stand. Legs got sore after a few minutes, especially the inside leg.

Gave it a go in the backstreets near where I live this evening (industrial area, few cars and no kids). I must of looked like a right tool 'hanging of' with a L plate on the back :) Turning the pelvis seems to work as I found myself with leg pointed towards the turn, half my butt cheek off the seat, and weighing the inside peg. Strange feeling, as I felt 'detached' from the bike, kinda floating? I think this was also the first time I didn't have my butt firmly planted to the seat the whole time.

Nice leg workout too. lol.

6. you probably need to ease yourself into it. shifting weight around on a bike can do odd things. I'd urge caution.
  7. Duly noted.
    Baby steps :)

8. Good find!
    downloading for future reference
  9. Good stuff...for the track.

For newbies on the road learning, my advice is, yes use your body, but keep your butt firmly in the saddle. That way you are less likely to come to grief.
  10. +1

It's too easy to fall into the "riding twisted" trap. The focus becomes getting your arse off the seat and you end up facing the wrong direction when hitting a corner.

IMO I reckon focus on getting your head going the right way and leading with your shoulder and not trying to hang your arse off the seat.
  11. Maybe for complete newbies. But for those that are moving into the intermediate stages of riding techniques having your body positioned properly can save you from coming to *grief* when your going for a spirited ride.

Hanging off the bike properly (not monkey style trying to drag a knee) can help you when a turn tightens up unexpectedly. As well as give you more options then simply sitting upright and moving your head.