Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Body Position

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by tiggers, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hi Guys,

I’m looking for some feed back on body positioning, I’ve read through all the noob cornering posts and I think in the last four months I’ve managed to implement everything and I’m improving with every ride.

I gage my development on a couple of corners I ride every morning, there’s a sharp right hand turn that then quickly turns left a bit like an S. When I first started riding it I was at something like 10k’s now I’m at about 30 (my favorite bit of my commute) but I’ve noticed I seem to lean forward and over the bars lean toward the direction of the turn, no conscious effort to do this but it feels right and I turn in quicker.

Is this right or is there something I should be looking at to give me a better idea?

2. I've read some useful stuff on body positioning here. I think it was in the noob cornering series by Rob but perhaps it was Raven posting. I'll see if I can find it - its around somewhere.
  3. Yeah, I found some great stuff in noob 102 - see rob's first post, point 3 on body lean for starters.
  4. Depends somewhat on the style/configuration of the bike.

At a guess I'd say that leaning forward is bringing your arms down more inline with the bars giving you more leverage to turn in quick. I think at this level it's far more important to focus on keeping your arms loose and putting your effort into conciously countersteering to get the bike turned. It is good to work on your body position but I don't think it's as critical at this point (30kph)
  5. Thanks mate, I'm on the klr which is pretty up right, I'm finding that I'm leaning in to the tank more....If you were following me you'd see me the chicken wing flap regularly.

Always good to get some feed back...
  6. i love blokes riding dirt bikes tearing up the tarmac, there isnt enough of us around. Keep up the good work mate.
  7. While it's a good way to gauge your progress through a couple of corners you know, as a baseline, where your confidence is up and you can make comparisons, but you also to judge yourself on corners that you don't know. Otherwise your feedback becomes a falsehood, that will obscure any faults that you may be developing inadvertantly..
  8. Thanks Raven your advice is always worthwhile. I've be working on staying out wider then turning in. I've been coming in to the apex to early. Got a ride planned for this weekend on roads I don't know so will be taking it easy and concentrating on the line in.

Where I do get caught out is where the corner is wide on the way in and tight on the way out (does that make sense?)
  9. you mean a tightening radius turn? sounds like you have the apex of your line too early in the turn. early turn in is a survival reaction if i remember correctly.

a basic way of getting the line kinda in the ballpark is hang wide until you can see the exit then turn/gas/drift/wave to crowd. lol.

but you'll get the hang of it after a bit. then its just like any other turn.
  10. Thanks Jimmy, yep a tightening radius is what I meant, those catch me out.

Staying out wide is something I'm working on but my head still says "turn in" its getting better and better tho :)
  11. Good work tigger, im jealous youve got some great roads nearby even the OLD is closer for you.

Im also trying to do the same positioning, my problem is that whilst I can shift my upper body fairly easy, I still have trouble shifting my ass end from side to side during turns. Oh well the learning continues.

Good luck with yours and if you wanna try some great roads that you might not be as familiar you should check out the roads west and up the mountains.
  12. My ass is still glued to the seat, may be a waxing it will help (the seat not my ass)
  13. Ack! DON'T WAX THE SEAT, that's a NONO.

Because of your bike style, the the relationship between the pegs hips and arms, making you more upright, it is difficult to hang off compared to a reg sports bike.

Here's my own personal remedy to help keep you sorted.

Rather that moving you arsk around, just cock your hips. Going around a lh turn, you cock your hips to the left, which will put more weight on you left arsk cheak. Then when you bring your upper body across they will all line up nicely for you.
    Put most of your weight on the inside peg..

Iwould'nt be trying to shift your arsk at all at this stage, just role onto that inside arsk cheek and bring your upper body across as usual. You can role or cock your hips as you are lining up the corner - reasonably early in the process. And you can practice it on a kitchen chair any time.

Should help you get sorted, mate. :)