Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Body position for comfort & rideability

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by VCM, Sep 6, 2008.

1. I don't think this has been covered extensively enough ( search come up a little dry ).
    Over the past week or so, I've been experimenting with body position on the hornet. To the point of re-adjusting the bars and all four levers. My problem was initially back pain. So I adjusted the bars and found it better on the back when the bars are more forward away from me. This however made countersteering feel somewhat awkward .. less elbow bend and as a result less leverage I guess. ( thinking of moving em closer again )
    I've also found that weighting the pegs with the balls of my feet and gripping the tank help support my weight and lessen the stress on my back.

Just wondering if you guys would like to give your insight into the subject.
    - Wrist .. to enable covering brake ( I seem to keep having to reposition my hand on the grip to cover brake )
    - Arms .. obviously bent .. but how much?
    - Back .. straight, curved, arched
    - Weight distribution ( on pegs, bum, or just gripping tank ) ?
  2. If the brake lever is too low, that is not directly level with your hand when it is resting on top of the handgrip, you need to turn it upwards so it is. If reaching it is STILL too hard, then buy a set of dog-leg levers, and bring the grip point closer to the handgrip.....

I'm not convinced on the gospel of bent arms, but maybe that's me. I can't see that having one's arms straight brings any disadvantage to the art of riding in general and steering in particular; (but I have been wrong before :LOL:).
  3. is it upper or lower back pain? kidney belt (aldi next week) might help for lower.
    why do you want to cover the brakes? do you have 2 finders sliding over them or what?

this might be the geriatric thread?
  4. Most important way to prevent sore back and arms is to 'relax'. Don't ride with locked shoulders and tight arms as this will certainly give you pain at the end of the day.

I was told by my instructor to pretend your on the couch when you ride, drop your shoulders, bend your elbows and just drop and relax keeping nice and loose. You'll become a better rider if you are nice and relaxed rather than tight and tense.
  5. Hey VCM

I recommend u go and read the book Twist of the wrist II. It talks about all the points that you have mentioned above and I guarantee it will make u a better rider.
  6. The lever is below the level of the grip by about 15mm, I'll try bring it about level, Thx paul !

Was mainly upper ( shoulder blades )
    re: covering the brakes, I usually have 2 -3 fingers over the brake lever when approaching situations where I suspect someone may do something stupid ( like pulling out into my path )

:LOL: @ geriatric comment

That's what I've been trying to do :?

I read that one almost every second night mate, but unless I've missed it, I can't remember any section going into any detail, apart from keeping arms bent & body position in regard to conering etc.
  7. I get sore shoulder blades too. Only the right one actually. Its like just above the shoulder blade, and half way between the bottom curve of my neck and the start of my shoulder.
  8. this shouldn't happen. I follow reg pridmores book and let two fingers slide over the brake lever. then when I roll off they are in the right spot. most of the time they are relaxed and there's no stress. he calls it a rocking horse. he's also better at it than me.

I'm also an upper back problem. Remnants from old car crashes and slaving over a hot computer all week. I just go to a physio when it upsets my riding and he loosens it up.
  9. omg same here but for me its my left side...