Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Body Armour saved my brothers life yesterday

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by helenp, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Hi

I'm not a rider but I've just spent the past 30 hours of hell with my brother who came of a trail bike (yamaha something ) 90kms per hour on a beach. He now has 2 fractured vertabrae in his neck and one in his back. and is now in a spinal injuries unit after 30 hours of hospitals, ambulances air lift , pain etc. Pure hell for all involved.

I'm posting here in the hope that someone else can be so lucky. He will be laid up for at least 6 weeks but then will walk out with some cuts and bruises and a few aches and pains. He is very lucky. He still may need surgery if the fractures don't stabilise.

The BODY ARMOUR HELPED TO PREVENT PERMANENT INJURY by a thread, so I hope that this will help someone who can't decide weather to get it or not.

Body armour helped in 2 ways. The guys he was with picked him up sat him in a ute and drove 40ks to the hospital -- WRONG and almost LETHAL .. NEVER EVER MOVE anyone whose come off a bike -- ambos have 4 wheel drive access. This could have contributed to permanant damage and paralysis - again the docs said the only thing that saved him again was the body armour.

If your going to ride bikes learn the basics of first aid - be fair to your friends and family.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone. Im now off to visit my brother in hospital.

2. scary story, Helen

I'm presuming you mean body armour as in a back protector??
  3. I think that would be correct -- I'm not entirley sure, but I know it had a back protector involved
  4. i think she means full body armour front and back as per most dirt bikers
  5. This sort of thing:

Hope your brother makes a full recovery.
  6. Hi Helen, all the best to your brother...I hope he makes a speedy and full recovery.

Thanks for taking the time to post your story. It's never good to hear about someone else's bad luck, but we all need a reminder now and again to do what we can to keep ourselves that bit safer, whatever we're doing.

Keep posting and let us know how your brother is doing and pass on our best wishes :)
  7. Thanks for taking the time to post Helen. Hang in there mate, the worst of it is behind you. It will get better from here.
    Motorbike riding is an extreme sport, and wearing the right gear is as important in this one as it is in the others.
  8. +1 for armour!!

i had a set of Fox body armour save me from serious injury about 7 years ago on my dirt bike. i wouldn't ride one without the armour again.

i hit a tree branch across the chest going a reasonable pace, took me off the bike, and knocked the wind out of me. all i had was bruising, not a broken sternum, ribs, etc.

i hope your brother makes a full and speedy recovery.
  9. gee that's damn lucky :)

just goes to show gear saves people, hope your bro gets better soon
  10. I'm so glad your brother was wearing body armour....I hope he makes a full recovery.
  11. thanks everyone, just back from visiting and every minute things are looking better, he is going to make a full recovery with everything working, I really hope this makes someone consider protective gear ,, and please think about first aid training -- its your mates you'll save and someones brother , son , father etc. If you want to do extreme sports go ahead, I know its fun, just know what to do in an emergency, death and or spinal injuries are no good for any one.

12. Helen, I am glad your brother is on the up and up. It should never take an accident, to remind others the risk we take. Perhaps this event(As horrible as it is) would be usefull to the local Motorcycling Body in SA to make some waves about rider first aid, and the benefits of safety gear.

It would be good to see an advert at the least just saying simply "Injured Motorcyclist? Call 000"

Also Helen, just to reassure you, I am sure many many more people will read this reminder, than post in it.

When he walks out of Hospital and is comfortable, I believe they have a coffee meet in Adelaide. I am sure some of the members would share a coffee or maybe something a bit stronger.
  13. That's a helpful post,the same thing happens at car accidents,we were passing one once and the crowd were pulling an injured bloke out very aggressively,my mate the firey just shook his head,he said everyone thinks that the car will explode,and that happens in about 000.1 of cases but ruff
    handling of accident victims WILL be a much bigger problem,if you don't know what your doing leave it for the pros.BTW maybe you are refering to a Leater{sp} kneck brace,that kneck suport under and behind a helmet and not a back protector,good luck to your brother,
  14. Hope all the best for your brother, with a speedy recovery.
    Ive been taught basic first aid and one thing they teach you with any sort of head/neck accident is that you should never move the person AT ALL.

Because you can cause more damage eg. Christopher Reeves, former superman guy, tried to get up after he had a fall from the horse, made his injury worse.