Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

BMW System 5 purchase follow up...

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by winaje, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Well, I have had the S5 for a few months now, and on the whole find it to be an excellent helmet.

Comfortable fit
    Acceptable weight
    Low noise
    Ease of use, especially with flip up
    Quality lining and straps

Expensive to buy accessories, Tinted visor costing about $140
    Gap between fully closed and first open notch too large, making it hard to keep a dry face while defogging in the rain

On the whole, I'd definitely buy one again. For those that are interested, the Bluetooth Kit is available in the UK, for about 260 pounds sterling. Why would I consider that you ask? Because it's OEM fitment, and the helmet already has all of the channels etc preformed to take it.

2. FYI - BMW are no longer importing helmets.

To be honest I have no idea why this is the case, I've tried quite a few lids amongst the top brands; Arai, Shoei, AGV, Shoei, HJC, KBC, and Nolan and they have been the most comfortable and quiet by far. They also come in at the lightest.

While they retail at $800rrp, I have never paid more than $650 for one, and yesterday bought one for my partner for $450 - the margins on these lids must be huge. I recommend to anyone who hasn't yet gotten a lid or is looking at a replacement to seriously consider this range.

I think the only thing missing from these helmets are easily removable cheek pads.