Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

BMW suspension bottoming out

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Union8, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Last weekend had a great day at Phillip Island but getting home I noticed that the front fork seem to have gotten quite far in terms of travel and close to bottoming out during the day and anyone venture an opinion if this the case this is on s1000rr. I have also looked in manual and I can't adjust the compression or rebound only damping which I believe won't help in this situation. Any help is appreciated

Attached Files:

2. I thought these bikes had a centre screw on the top of the shockers to adjust preload? As per below vid Maybe different years aren't the same.

3. Adjust the pre-load as Chris noted, and your compression damping is too soft or you weigh 200kg. You have been braking mighty hard to compress that far down the stanchion.

4. Not really looking at the pic it appears that there is still 25mm. Ideally you'd want 35mm but that's not ridiculous. I've seen much worse.
    You should have adjustable compression, rebound and damping on it. Admittedly I haven't worked on one.

5. Adjusting the compression damping will help because it will slow the travel, but as others have noted, get the preload right first.

Besides, 25mm is far from close to bottoming out. It probably only has around 100-120mm to start with and you should be using 1/3 of that with static. so that's only leaving you with 45-65mm of travel in riding conditions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks for the replies, I adjusted the preload 2 months ago to what Bmw suggest from memory 12-15mm but I have not played with the damping which I will do tonight and that would be set as factory. As for weight I am about 115kg with gear and braking real hard for turn 10 (MG) at Phillip island. But I will increase the preload and play with the damping and see the results thanks for the suggestions and help and any further suggestion is welcome