Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

BMW safety Concept

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Biggles, Jul 8, 2011.

1. There's some pretty amazing technology out there.
    Here's a link to some of the stuff BMW are doing in their advanced safety concept.

2. oh wow... I do believe the can has been opened. :popcorn:
  3. bahahahah.. one of the comments at the end:

"this is a total waste of money for bmw. people who want saftey do NOT buy motorcycles.

in the u.s. less than 10% of motorcycle riders are women, probably less than 3% worldwide.

women want safety. men who want safety don't ride motorcycles.

this is totally foolish, the money would have been better spent on enhancing safety technology in cars."
  4. There you go, plus no one can afford all that technology, well not me but its interesting what they come up with.
    Road crayon out.
  5. Nice one...
  6. All I get from that article is a bike full of gizmos, blinking lights and meddlesome electronics which will not make the bike safer but possibly more dangerous by disconnecting the rider from the raw nature of any motorcycle.

Motorcycles are only as safe (or dangerous) as you make them based on the choices you make and the stupidity of other road users - no amount of "passing lights" and "active suspension" will mitigate any of that.

People don't buy bikes to be safe - they buy and ride bikes because they love riding (risk is therefore accepted and reduced as much as possible)
  7. I was having an interesting discussion with my friends. Would you still ride a motorcycle that you could not crash or is the danger an inherent part of riding that without you wouldn't bother.

I would definitely as the danger aspect is a very minor consideration but others differed.

Good work from BMW, some of us want the freedom of a motorcycle and the safety of a jumbo jet as well (I was going to say car, but cars are not that safe).
  8. This to me looks like BMW's R&D department showing off their bits and pieces of vehicle automation and getting a chance to apply and test it in the real world.

As we slowly and eventually get to completely automated driving, vehicles will all have these little gizmos and more.
  9. The engine's on BMW's never die because the electronics do it before the mechanicals have a chance :LOL:

Rather ride a bike that I know will bite my ass if I stuff up, than rely on 50 computers that might even work when needed (people make mistakes, and these computers are made by people)
  10. You're not supposed to rely on them. Those things are supposed to be like seatbelts - there to help if things go wrong. You're not supposed to deliberately run up against them, and you're liable to get bit if you do.

It's all interesting stuff. There was another report came out in the last week as well, BMW again, and I thought it was also at gizmag, where they were talking about active suspension. Also very interesting.

In fairness, we should point out this is the company who gave us active servo assisted motorcycle brakes, for no apparent reason other to take control away from the rider. Not a terrifically popular development as I recall. New BMWs don't seem to have it either...
  11. I liked the music.
  12. BMW were the first to put telescopic forks on a production bike as well though.
  13. Yeah, I know. And they made aircraft engines for the german airforce through two world wars.
    ... And then they abandoned them (teleforks) and went back to leading links so everyone could run sidecars.

... and they put superchargers on flat twins and took then to the Isle of Mann and embarrassed the Poms on their home soil. Oh, yes. Their sins are many and remembered!

I even have a vague suspicion that Dr Ferdinand Porsche took a swing by Bavaria when Hitler commissioned him to design the people's car, because there's a suspicious kind of Tasmanian resemblance between a BMW flat twin and Dak-Dak flat 4.
  14. They are a great company, not all of these latest inventions will work but I am glad they are trying things. The Japanese have lost their way in that way, especially Honda who were once a great company.

I dont hear anything coming out of the east at all.
  15. You're not listening. It has a number 27 on it.

Not that I'm a huge honda fan or anything - I'm a Kawasaki owner - but take a stroll through a honda dealership and you'll see bikes well designed, well made, beautifully finished, all carefully crafted to target specific niches in the eco system, all different, many innovative and wildly stylish. You'll see goldwings and fireblades, valkeries and crf450fs, choppers that look better than most of what the independant cutom houses make, heavy cruisers that look more harly than harly... What do you want? You'll see almost every conceivable engine configuration, every size and colour and price, and the worst thing you can say about a honda is that its a bit bland - in the way that middle of the road commercial music is a bit bland - it's aimed to please many ears. If the worst thing you can say about my bike is they made a good one, or that it was made by a company that don't often f#ck things up, then that's an insult I can take. They're the biggest and most successful motorcycle company. There's a reason for that.
  16. It is interesting you mentioned this. I heard about a month ago the next S1000rr might come with active suspension like to what you get on a M3. Something like could take the superbike segment to a whole new level again.
  17. The distraction possibilities concerned me.
  18. [Suitable Wagner theme] Ve BMW riders are neffer dischtracted. Ve focus!!

On bike domination!!!

Today, the R1200GS. Tomorrow, THE WORLD!!!!!!! [/suitable Wagner theme]
  19. all the innovations we have now and enjoy came down the same sort of pipeline, the market filters out what will sell and what won't; look at Honda's 750 Automatic back in the 70s and Yamaha's revival of the concept in the last couple of years. How many people buy ABS if a non-ABS equipped version of the bike is available (and usually for less money?)