Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

BMW s1000rr and servicing

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by hyo_duc, Jan 5, 2010.

1. ok guys im looking into purchasing a litre supersports bike.
    One3 of the contenders will be the bmw s1000rr.
    out of curiosity ofr ongoing costs, what is the average cost for servicng and maintaince for a bmw, let alone a s1000rr?
    anyone have any ideas at all?
    much regards

2. Being a very new bike I don't have the foggiest but a 10,000 km service for the r1100s is about $350 and a full service evry 20,000 is $550 which includes plugs valve adjustments all fluids including brakes and clutch etc. They are very thorough.
    This is for Ringwood BM, Southbank charge more but they can supply you with a loaner bike
  3. R1200RT 10,000km service at Southbank was $380 including brake fluid change, valve adjust and engine synch, plus a loan bike for the day. First service (~1000km) was $400.
  4. The other BMW servicer is K&R Motorcycles in Cheltenham (03) 9583 1528

Within the BMW Club I understand both BM Motorcycles and K&R have a good reputation and both will be cheaper than Southbank. Give them a ring to have a chat about servicing costs. Although I think both may be closed for hols at the moment.
  5. 20,000km service on the K was $230
    30,000km service was around $250
    40,000km service was around $500 it was a major.

They are not all that expensive to service.

The F800 is only $95 for its first service and about $190 for the 10,000 or thereabouts.

The BMW cars are a different story I believe.

We had a Smart car as a patrol car, each tyre for it was $330, $280 to change a headlight, $1500 for a general service.
    From memory, it's major service was $2500+
  6. Is that the current configuration or K or the old?

Seems to me the R and the old K would be easier to service than the new
  7. 2006 k1200r
  8. ok thanks a lot guys
    so it doesnt seem to be any more expensive, or too much compared to the japanese rivals, and less than the european ones.
    whihc makes me lean towards the bike even more
    i guess southbank's extra cost covers the loan bike which is handy may i say.

and one last question, it seems like the servicing intervals are roughly every ten thousand kays for most bmw bikes? this obviously excludes basic maintanace like cleaning chain, lubing it, oils/fuels and such?
  9. here are some pics of headlights photoshop mods i found for the bike whilst doing research
    i must say the two large ones look horn!

*this is not to say i dont like the original unique design

Attached Files:

10. some more phtoshoping

Attached Files:

11. Pretty impressive costs then.
  12. Chain???????????????
  13. Isn't the S1000RR chain drive?

Considering what your tyre bill is likely to be on any litre sports bike, service costs will pale into insignificance.

I'd bet insurance will be cheaper than an R1 too.
  14. He said most bmw's hence the question, I'm not too familiar with the s1000rr

Edit: just checked, it is indeed chain driven.
    BMW have betrayed us!!!!!!
  15. They already did that with the F series. Mind you, based on a mate's experience of an F650, I suspect that they're not a proper BMW anyway.
  16. Nah the f series use rotax engines so not true bmw's
  17. Will be interested to hear about insurance costs compared to other thousands.

Less than $25k for the bells and whistles version is mighty tempting.
  18. go and have a look at the dyno graph akraprovic released for the bike. Then you will see why they went chain drive - a shaft drive wouldn't handle it!
  19. When I look at dyno graphs all I see are squiggly lines, it does my head in.
  20. Why not? Lotsa very grunty V8s run shaft drives with no problems. There's plenty of meat in BMW's shaft units. There've been a few turbo K100s with well in excess of 200 bhp with no driveline problems attributable to the engine output.

I suspect that they've gone chain to keep unsprung weight down and to facilitate gearing changes for folk who use their bikes seriously, now that they're building a bike in a class where such things actually count.