Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

BMW R80RT 1987 Restoration

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by jjman, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Evening Guys and girls.

On the weekend took a small 18hr drive down to Newcastle and back from Brisbane some 1400kms after work on Saturday morning. I purchased a 1987 BMW R80RT for $4000 that I am hoping to restore / learn to ride and the mechanical ins and outs of this bike. Not sure which direction the restoration will go as of yet but that is not my concern at the moment.

My main concern is getting the bike up to scratch so that I can ride it for a while to see if its the one for me. The previous owner had done little servicing lately to the bike because of infrequent use and needs some immediate attention.

I have only taken the bike for a ride down the street and back as it is not registered yet. I am hoping to have that done asap. The rear break light switch is not switching the rear light on and am in the process of sourcing a new switch.

The bike starts straight away with no choke from cold. Has no funny noises and runs smoothly. It has no oil / gasket leaks anywhere visible as of yet.

so here it goes.. I have put together a small list with my little knowledge about bikes. Was hoping for some constructive crissum and to be ponied in the right direction.

Front breaks
    - Bleed break lines
    - New break pads
    - Replace caliper seals ( Maybe pistons not sure if necessary?
    - check discs are within specks

- Complete re kit of rear drum break + pads

- Replace engine oil
    - Replace transmission oil
    - Shaft drive gearbox oil
    - Front fork seals and oil

- Air filter (in good condition)
    - Fuel filter
    - Oil filter

Wheel bearings front and rear

Spark plugs

I really appreciate the time to steer me in the right direction.

2. Tyres are the big one you havent mentioned, also steering head bearings.
  3. Speaking from bitter, bitter experience (including an electrical fire and subsequent breakdown in the Domain tunnel during rush hour): replace every last scrap of wiring, or have someone do it for you.

This is on the cards for my GS, and I wish I'd done it from the get-go.
  4. You said replace oil but only mentioned motor and transmission. Swing arm bearing and final drive oil need yep lacing at the sane interval as transmission (gear box).

You may also want to consider fork oil.

Inspect the brake pads. Only replace if they need it.

If it hasn't,t had a new air filter for a bit, it may need one. Check the plugs to see if they look like running rich.

Good sources of parts in Australia is Munich Motorcycles in SA although they insist on using a pricey postage. If you can wait for a few more days for parts try Motobins in UK, cheap even after postage and I usually get delivery in about a week.

Both sell tuneup kits with the consumables you need for a standard service with option for OEM or cheaper equivalent parts.

Good luck with the project.
  5. Do you know when the driveshaft splines were last lubricated?
  6. The bike has a brand new set of tiers sorry forgot to mention.

@foot 69 Stearing head bearings? as the main bearings in your steering Colum?

@Duncan_bayne Yeah I have a restricted electrical license and my old boys a sparky so wiring replacement will be on the cards but probably not the first point of action.

@greyBM Yes the bike definitely needs fork oil (also forgot to mention) The front suspension is terrible. Do you recommend a full rebuild of the forks if so can you please elaborate? is it necessary or are fork seals and new oil ok? I have been looking at Hyperpro progressive shocks they are about $250.00 per pair from the UK ebay.com. Could really use some experience of which direction to take towards new suspension / rebuilds.

@bumblebeeman11 No mate I have no service history and I'm guessing its been a while. Could you elaborate.

Thank you everyone your advice is much appreciated and has mate it onto my "things to do pad"

7. Yes, the main bearings in the steering column. If the tyres have been sitting for a while check for cracks, they can have new tread and still be buggered.
    Strip and clean the forks completely while you have the front end apart for the seals, New springs should make a difference and are usually worth the investment, your call tho we havent ridden the bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. @foot69 The tiers are a few months old but yes I will definitely have a nice look over them. As far as the new suspension goes yes I totally agree. can anyone recommend a brand of suspension that wont kill the pocket yet a good quality?
  9. :banghead: Tyres**
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Sorry. Never rebuilt forks so no idea how difficult it is. I'd start by servicing them and seeing what that does. If no significant improvement then maybe the rebuild.

The driveshaft splines need to be lubricated occasionally but since BMW do not recommend an interval, it is difficult to know how often. Not an eash job, means splitting the gearbox from the engine and trying to get enough room to get some grease on the splines. Given the degree of difficulty, I am tipping that if the bike has not been looked after it won't have been done in a while, if ever.

Not the highest priority although can lead to a noisy (tapping) transimission when idling in neutral
  11. Lubing the splines is indeed unspecified but the rule of thumb has been to do them at least every 50-60,000 (or it was in my days on a BMW). It improves clutch operation and shifting, and the splines will probably last forever if kept greased. Repairs to worn splines are expensive. An independent BMW tech of my acquaintance advocates "if you don't know, then you need to do it". It's not beyond the skill of a brave home mechanic armed with a manual and good tools but you will have a lot of bits lying around your garage.
  12. Have you ever ridden a bike standing on the pegs, with the seat removed, and a CityLink-emergency-van-supplied jumper pack sitting on the frame rails, alligator-clipped to the seat? In a tunnel? During rush hour?

I'd be careful where you ride her until you see to the electrics :)

Here's mine.
  13. I've never ridden or owned a BMW as I won't comment on the technical stuff, except to say that everyone's advice makes good sense, but I'm fascinated about the mental processes that brought you to drive 1,400 Kms to buy a bike with which you are totally unfamiliar! This is not a criticism, just a comment, honest.
  14. Hornet, I actually considered something very similar when I bought mine.

There wasn't a huge number of these bikes around, so having decided I wanted one I had limited choices. Consequently when one came up interstate I seriously considered it. However, in the end I decided it was all too hard and one finally did come up locally a few weeks later, but at the time I was looking, it was the first for a while.
  15. Since you're in Brisbane, if you want top-drawer advice, repairs and service look no further than Ray Peake at RJ's Motorcycles (a home based shop near Canungra). Ray is not the cheapest but he is honest, expert and you're paying for him to be thorough. Very few know air-cooled BMWs like he does. And if you want it turbo-ed, he can even do that too. Many of his clients have run up hundreds of thousands of reliable kilometres with his help, and he knows which upgrades work and which ones don't. (disclaimer: no, he's not my cousin, I don't owe him money and I don't even have a BMW any more, but he kept my R1150R singing)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. @hornet felt like a road trip with a mate. Drove a company car which I didn't pay a cent for the fuel. although it was a semi crazy idea having no idea about the bike till we got there I would have still been ok about it if we turned around with nothing on the trailer. fun road trip and ended up paying off.

@Duncan_bayne nice one.

@Bumblebeeman11 Thanks man, will definitely remember that when I run into problems.

Will have to do some proper research in greasing the splines as I have 0 idea. Purchased a few manuals the last week. On holidays away at the beach so when I get back they should be at home.