Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

BMW R12002 gearbox

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by jed1, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Hi folks,

I have recently acquired a 2008 BMW R1200R which now has 7300kms on the clock. I think it is a brilliant bike and I really enjoy riding it. It does however have a few minor gripes that I have noticed since riding it around.

The first is the crappy indicator switches - but I cant do anything about that, so Ill move on!!! My 2nd small gripe is the gearbox. Under normal use, the gearbox is great and runs up and down the cogs with no problem at all. However, if I give the bike a bit of a squirt away from the lights (brisk acceleration), when I change from 1st to 2nd, most of the time the bike just changes to neutral and the bike will just rev out, at which point I sheepishly try again and shift it up to 2nd (looking like a twit in the process).

It doesn’t seem to make any difference if I really give it a good prod on the gear leaver or not. It happens warm or cold and the bike has just been serviced and it still does it.

If I just pull away from the lights at a nice steady pace, then it swaps from 1st to 2nd without any problems at all. I can also run it hard through the gears from 2nd to 6th without any problems at all.

If anything, Im guessing that since the bike is just 7300kms old, then the gearbox might be still settling in and the problem will eventually disappear.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers all.

2. This, or something is broken, possibly the previous owner was an aficionado of wheelies...

3. Sorry I don't have any experience with the BMW's but a Guzzi I've recently purchased had a similar problem with finding first and second gear. Rathen trying to just stick it in there, the very useful advice I received was not to pull the clutch all the way. Has worked very well for me may be worth a try.

4. My 2007 BMW R 1200R use to do that and it was a real pain, but it will go away with time. With 7300kms on the clock I reckon it won’t be too far away. On the way home from a 20,000 km service the gear box felt very sweet.

5. It's a bmw trait, the problem will disappear by the next service, if not then adjust the gear lever as the travel from 1st to second is greater than the travel through the rest of the gear changes.
    You have to be very thorough with the gear changes, any sloppiness and the bike wlll think "pussy" and not allow a clean change up.
    As for the indicators it is heresy to think that they are crappy, this is how they should be. and when you get used to them there is no other way.
    Either you are a BMW person or you are not!