Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

BMW R1100S Tail Bag options - Has anyone fitted a Ventura?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Doug Willis, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Has anyone fitted a Venture rack and bag to a R1100s and if so, are they happy with the setup?

Any compatability problems with Side Panniers, scratching or marking of bike.

I have had Ventura packs on other bikes and have had no problems, but not sure about using with R1100S.

Anyone with experience with other tail bag setups welcome to respond.
  2. Bit of a terminology prob here.

If you are talking about the Ventura steel framed rack, then contact Venma for compatibility info. It may foul your pannier mounts (it does on my Sprint ST).

If you are talking about the soft tail bag that sits on the pillion seat, it shouldn't cause any probs but guys I know that use them find they often need an extra strap or two to keep them in place.
  3. http://au.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mysteryburch/detail?.dir=/b7d2&.dnm=7dbcscd.jpg&.src=ph

Not sure how the ventura system will work with the standard panniers/ pannier rails (perhaps the picture may help??), but the system works quite well on its own (I use throwover panniers, which are fine).
    The rack/ bag fits well either way around, you will just need to remove the pillion seat cover if you are fitting it to face forwards (ie for solo riding).
    Never needed any extra tie-downs, perhaps these are isolated cases?

(Also, the Ventura pillion grab rail is far better than the standard excuse that BMW have provided for the S.)
  4. Ventura racks on the r1100s are desogned to not affect the side panniers.
    why you want side panniers on it is beyond me though they make it look like a fat pig.
    (Proud R1100s owner with ventura rack and Rjay's top box.)
  5. I think you mean Kenma the aussie ventura distributor.
  6. Welcome to the forum, Doug, the other venerable BMW owners will delight to have another fellow with which to share tips and tricks, and, of course, to look down their collective noses at us lesser mortals! :LOL:

{Just kidding, guys :p}