Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

BMW Og-sport

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by nearlyempty, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Saw this on the MCN website:

"140bhp, 195kg (fully-fuelled) Sportboxer is leading BMW’s assault on an all out, no compromises sports machine."

It's due to be racing at the Le Mans 24hrs race this weekend.

...apparently you can lean it over 15 degrees from upright! Impressive stuff (at least they won't need any race stands).
  2. Poor bastards, it cost so much to build they couldn't afford to paint the back wheel...

15 deg? hmmmm, my R1150R can manage 47deg, and that's a humble roadster. :-k
  3. Perhaps you should tell them, there's still time to make it over to France if you hurry...
  4. No point, they already know that the bog standard R1200S can manage 52deg. On the bright side, it should be pretty much low-side proof if it can only lean 15deg eh :grin:
  5. that's a wicked looking machine !!! How much moola for that baby ?
  6. £12,000 they're saying... which would be around $30,000 Oz then.
  7. Ed - I see you have a new machine, and you stayed with the Bavarians. What is she like and how does she compare to your previous beast ?
  8. They threw in some sausages and Bratwurst. What's a man to do, faced with that sort of incentive?

Heavier, more powerful, better ride quality, more ground clearance, faster, smoother.
    There is quite a difference between the two (like there should be when you notice the price difference :shock: )

Being a twin, the R1100S was a joy in the tight stuff, as you could just pin the throttle on the exit and the bike just kind of leaped forward. Ok, it wasn't as powerful as some other twins around, but this actually made it easier to ride as you never needed to worry about the bike stepping out too much on you (it's a surprisingly quick motorcycle, particularly on the corner exits and I could regularly surprise larger, more powerful sports bikes).
    It is a little agricultural though, and not really so great two-up. I always had problems with the weight distribution, mainly at low speeds. Ground clearance was always a worry, too.

The K1200S is different 'class' of motorcycle. By that I mean that it feels of a better quality.
    The only similarity between the two is the stability, as both bikes are extremely stable through a corner and are unfazed by anything short of hitting gravel or oil.
    The K1200 pulls in any gear, cleanly from around 2000rpm up to red line (can't remember where this is, but somewhere around the 11,500 mark), with a step at 8000 where the bulk of the power lies. Not to say that the bike is underpowered below this though, during everyday riding (and even mid paced ride outs) I rarely get above 6000 and the bike is still seriously, licence threateningly, fast. This is a very powerful motorcycle, without a doubt.

Turn-in is a little slower, but nothing drastic. The bike has quite a long wheel base, but a sharp steering angle, which helps to drop the bike into a turn. I think the main reason the bike turns in a little slower is because the weight is slung very low in the bike rather than anything to do with the wheelbase. This ain't going to match a GSXR or R1 on the turn in, but will give them a good run on the mid corner to exit, mainly due to the stability (none of that nervousness you can get on the others).

Weight distribution is far far better. The centre of mass is very low, which makes riding slowly an absolute breeze (I can easily bumble along at walking pace without any problems). There is a slight fuelling glitch on a neutral throttle, but nothing to really upset the bike (certainly compared to the lumpy R1100). Where on the R1100, low speed manoeuvers were a pain, on the K1200 they're a breeze. Excellent mirrors, good power delivery and comfortable riding position mean that, where a commute on the R1100 could become a chore, I'd happily jump on the K for daily commuting. The only gripe would be the clutch, which is a little on the heavy side.

The brakes have more feel than the R1100 and really are excellent with plenty of feel and none of that woodenness. I'd reckon the brakes are pretty much the equal of sports bikes (I have noticed the ABS cutting in on real heavy braking though, so I think there's a little room for improvement there).

Comfort is about the same as the R1100. It's slightly more upright (a gentle sports position) which takes some weight off your wrists, but the seat isn't quite as comfy. I've still ridden the bike all day, only stopping for fuel, without any major grumbles though.

Pillion comfort is much better, with decent grab rails and due to the weight, pillions don't upset the bike handling much at all. I do a lot of 2-up riding, so this was a boon.

Suspension is much better than the R1100. I have ESA fitted and this has become one of the best features of the bike. Not only is the suspension better, giving a better ride, I can now alter it by the push of a button. How cool is that?

I also have heated grips (never had them before) and have seen the light.

(I think it may have slowed me down a little though, as I am scared of the repair bills if I drop it).
    Haven't taken it to a race track yet, but hoping to do that soon.