Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Jaytee, Oct 13, 2016.

1. This BMW concept had me intrigued...

"Protective clothing such as helmets and padded suits will no longer be needed. Instead, riders will simply be able to enjoy the sensation of absolute freedom. A key assistance system in this Vision Vehicle is the Self-Balancing mechanism, which keeps the motorcycle balanced both while in motion and while stationary, and prevents it from tipping over. "

2. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? Sor by paying less attention to the dynamics of the bike, you're more free to... what? Read a book?

The HUD on the visor idea is great though! Let's incorporate that into regular helmets first, IMO.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Oh Dear...Oh Dear.....

Since about 1998, when various bosses from the car division of BMW got drafted over to the bike area, we've seen more and more, sillier and sillier ideas from BMW.

A motorbike that can't fall over?

Wolseley managed that over a hundred years ago with a two wheeled car that didn't fall over, built for some Russian Count or other.

Look carefully at the picture......
    do you see where the panniers fit?
    do you see where to plug in the coffee machine?
    ....and they call this a BMW?
  4. Looks like something you'd expect in a Batman movie..
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Seems that this would negate that silly NSW neg driving charge every time a bike falls over. Perhaps that was what they were trying to achieve.
  6. #7 AJV80, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    I came across this interesting BMW concept bike with some pretty enormous claims that are very outside the box when it comes to motorcycle design. More like a science fiction movie rather than an actual motorcycle.
    • The BMW Motorrad Vision Next 100 has a flexible frame
    • It has no suspension components. The tyres double up as suspension and alter tread pattern to suit conditions
    • It is 'self-balancing' and can never crash

BMW Motorrad Unveils Vision Next 100 Concept - NDTV CarAndBike
  7. Where is the fun in that? Does it come with a grey cardigan??
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Grey cardigan is included, along with a nice pair of sensible shoes and socks.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. I agree with you, it kind of takes all the fun out of it. Part of the attraction to motorbikes i have has always been that they are dangerous and require skill to master.

I'm pretty sure i have seen some helmets with a HUD inside them like speed, rpm, gear selected not GPS though which would be good. I think it was more of an add on that sat inside the visor or got projected onto the visor.

• Like Like x 1