Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

BMW K 1200 S sets 175.57 mph World Land Speed Record

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by farawayman, Nov 17, 2005.

1. i dont understand.... a zx-12r will smoke that ... so will most 1litre sports bikes ... please explain?
  2. Idiot...you forgot to convert from dog years.
  3. Given enough room my 2L car could beat that figure, might have to turn the air-con off briefly though.
  4. Isnt that like 285ish ks?

Im confused too :?
  5. Ok it works out to be about 283kph (my car might be a little bit off the mark then).
  6. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I was just under the impression that any of the new litres would beat that. Unless theyre not under that category... obviously theyre in the right capacity but i dunno the other rules...
  7. The article states that it was for the "1000 - 1350 cc stock, partially streamlined, naturally aspirated motorcycle class" don't know what they mean by "partially streamlined" though - the Beemer looks to have an awful lot of fairing to me (certainly no less than say a GSXR).
  8. It means exactly what it says. Any road-going bike fairing, or even a GP bike, would be classed as "partially streamlined". As opposed to a 'streamliner', which is a fully enclosed (including the wheels), vehicle like Craig Breedlove's machines.
  9. So it appears then as if no-one has officially clocked more than 283kms on a stock, sub-1300cc Japanese bike then? Interesting.
  10. Cool, thats surprising then... Nice work either way. Cant hurt to have a legit speed record to ya name :)
  11. ...that's not attached to a speeding fine :LOL: .
  12. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yeah good call :p
  15. An official land speed record is not simply a 'speed run', it is the average of two consecutive runs in opposite directions on the same course within a certain time. The machine can actually reach speeds in excess of that average, but only the average counts. The logic is that in every case we are comparing 'apples with apples'. Nothing else would have much meaning as the variables, eg wind, incline, etc are too great.
  16. Bwahaha! Henne set that record in 1931 on a 500cc, 108hp machine. 75 years of R&D, a motor 2.5 times bigger and 50% more horsepower and WOOHOO - we matched our personal best.

....pissing himself laughing.
  17. Unseemly glee there Chairman, quite unseemly......
  18. Did anyone see the beemers at the superbike the other day?

4 cyl laying forward I think 45 deg or better. 1200cc

Beautiful. They had two for racing and one reg'd on the road.

One of them ran 4th in one of the races. It sounded louder than the duke that was chasing it.

Can anyone lend me about 23+ g's? I'll pay it back, really. I'll even let ya pillion.
  19. Hahahaha. They're coming out of the woodwork now hey. But how many miles/gallon will it get? How long will the tyres last? Hehehe.