Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by vic, Nov 5, 2008.

1. I reckon it looks a bit ordinary actually.

I wonder why they felt they had to go back to a double sided swingarm? And why they went for a chain instead of the belt? Those front vents were ugly on the Triumph Speed Four, they're fugly on the K1200R, and they're not getting any better on this thing. I'm sure it's gonna be fun to ride but I was hoping it would come out looking like Pfeiffer's stunt bike.

Having said that, Pfeiffer will be using this one as the basis for his next stunter.
  2. I like the look of it, the exhaust is screaming out to be changed to a short moto gp style one (like the arrow one for the ST3)

Obviously its going to be compared to the street triple. I wonder if it will be competitively priced like the triple.

By the time I start looking for an upgrade this may have just hit our shores.
  3. I want to like it but I just can't.

I've had such a huge hardon for the K1200R-styling for a while, and I'm just not feeling any inspiration or hinting of it here at all. Whereas the K1200R is a radically unique and aggressive industrial design, this is... boring.

Where'd the single sided swingarms go? What happened to the belt drive?

I like the as-symmetrical front light, even if the -GS derived styling is clunky.

White is nice.

Hopefully they price it at the F650GS range.
  4. I wonder if anyone will take that parallel twin after trying the 675 triple.
  5. fcuk. Thats the ugliest bike I've EVER seen.

It looks positively retarded. Like they beat it with the ugly stick, then tried to fix it with parts from an 80's toyota.

It honestly looks like it has down syndrome.
  6. Well... as naked bikes go it's not as ugly as the Aprillia Tuono but Loz is right it looks 'ordinary'.

Naked bikes are supposed to stand out from the crowd and this doesn't.

The 1200R is a much better styling exercise.
  7. the beemer has a few extra cc's? Beemers tend to make pretty good engines. It may have better suspension than the triple. Price is gonna be the killer though, the street triple R (with the daytona suspension) is still only around 13,500.

Am I the only one that doesn't think its ugly? Sure it needs a different pipe and a fender eliminator but butt ugly?
  8. I think you may be onto something there. ;)
  9. I sat on the previous model at the Gp last year and everything felt right, that is the best way that I can describe the feeling, although I haven't ridden one and would probably never buy one.

I think this model just takes it to the next level, pics probably don't do it justice

There is no doubt in my mind, BMW are leading the way in so many directions, only problem is punters often don't buy 'nice' bikes.
  10. :? Did they release it before it was finished?
  11. Striple = USD forks, 79kW, 167kg dry
    F800R = Standard forks, 64kW, 182kg dry

If it doesn't come under the Striple by at least $1500, then the market will be rather small, quite possibly made up by those who get sick of waiting for Triumph to produce enough Striples to meet demand.
  12. You're right Stew, it'll probably be more expensive than a Street Triple R, and specified well below it as you point out.

That's not to say that the Beemer would be a *bad* bike, just that it won't stack up to the competition. Hell, I'd still take a H9 over it, but that's a sickness I've got.
  13. For mine it suffers from the same Buell "collection of bits" styling. Although the bits are better looking than most Buell bits. Prefer it to a Buell but not by much. My 23 year old K100RS has more cohesive lines to look at.

I bet it's a hoot to ride, but it's not a "classic" in the making in terms of styling...

Anyone saying it's the ugliest needs to look more at Victory's offerings in the intercontinental lounge chair department.
  14. I have F800ST and am very happy with it. However I can't see many F800R being sold when its going head to head with the Street Triple. I think an F800RT would have been a better addition to the lineup.
  15. Damn BMW...cashing in on the Transformers revival, I bet! :LOL:

I honestly don't mind the look of it, but I don't think I'd be in the market for it. As much as I like Beemers, I'm more tempted by their classic horizontal twin bikes. New ground being covered, good stuff too I think, just not for me.

- boingk
  16. For me, the most appealing feature of F800S/ST is the belt drive. Unfortunately, that's the part they chose to lose in this model and so they lost me as a potential customer. And I would've been interested, because I loved the ergos on F800 - it felt really good and natural to me.
  17. I like it, imagine of if they did a 650 LAMs version?
  18. It would be nice but being a BMW, probably too expensive for the LAMS market. Anyway, they don't have a 650cc engine available and I don't see them developing one just for our LAMS, somehow (remember their GS650 is a 650 in name only - it's actually the same 800cc used by the rest of the family).
  19. BLOOOMP!

These were supposed to be here in September. Owners over there have been taking delivery of theirs for a few weeks now.

Good early impressions and a couple of good photos of a silver one, which would come up nicely once the mirrors are removed. It does seem to go for a classy look but with a touch of aggro.

Most likely a more relaxed, comfortable and less daunting option than the Street Triple.