Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

BMW F 800 R

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by wozza, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Hi all,

I've seen a mixed bag of reviews on this bike and was wondering if anyone owned one/had first hand experience about what they are like to live with?

2. Mate of mine has an F800ST and loves it. He regards it as a nice all-rounder. Another guy we both know has come over from Germany with his F800GS and is riding around Australia. His reports were very good too.

I've had annecdotal conversations with 3 or 4 other people re F800's, and all seem to really like them. From what I can gather, they are a well regarded machine with quite a lot of appeal.
  3. I've known several people who've owned various versions of them and they've all been pretty pleased with them. The reviews however often seem a bit luke warm.

I can only assume that it's because they're a bike that takes time to appreciate and their good points don't come through during the time frame of a short bike test.
  4. Thanks for the replies guys. I was just a bit confused at the very mixed reviews about this bike. Looks like a pretty good bike to be honest.
  5. Great little bike.

They have their quirks and depends on what your into but they're not exactly pretty but over all, great.

Very, very practical bike. About the hardest part is that you've got to get through the 10,000ks or so that it seems to take to actually run them in properly (engine roughness seems to decrease with a bit of age/use).
  6. #8 wozza, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    Thanks again for the replies guys. I guess I'm after a bike that satisfies everything. I want one that I can commute on with decent comfort, gets good fuel mileage, is reliable and can be a fun bike to ride on the weekends and the odd get away.

Edit: I tested the STR and love the way it rides, but the sound I'm yet to love (mostly have ridden v-twins)
  7. Ill concur with BitSar. Im currently on a heavily modified F800S and despite the exhaust, PCIII and change of sprocket its still not sporting to my mind. It does however get along more than adequately, its comfy and thanks to its lack of weight and decent (at least on mine) mirror position is a much better commuter than the Benelli CR or CBR600 ever were.
    Have to say Im a fan of the belt drive too; no greasing and no spray.

Fuelling down low isn't great but again its better than the Benelli (it could be a dodgy PCIII map too; I haven't put it on the dyno since buying it preloved)

The phrase 'practical' about sums it up. Not exciting, not pretty and not the best in any area but its does everything acceptably. Certainly worth a look if you're after a cheapish mid-capacity bike
  8. Found this - agree. But I love it.