Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

BMW 1200 GSA?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Chillidog, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Well, I've had my S1000RR for a while now and I think it's time for a new bike.

Over my 20 months or so of riding I've had a variety of bikes and would like my next bike to be a little different to my other bikes.

I'd like a bike that will be comfortable enough to do some long trips, perhaps even a run up to Cairns.

This led me to the GS Adventure or the Ducati Multistrata.

Am I better off waiting for the 2015 models to be released?

Is there anything else I should consider and ride?

Your opinions will be appreciated.

I forgot to mention, I do intend on keeping the RR at this stage for days in the hills and any other days when I feel the need to ride a sportsbike so whatever I get will be in addition to the RR, not a replacement. At this stage anyway.

2. having another photography ride soon , so best you do
  3. Have u looked at the bmw s1000r ? (Single r) similar to your current bike only more comfy and more low down torque.

4. Yep, I looked at the R when I got my RR.

I'm not looking for a naked bike.
  5. Has it been 6 months already? :p

6. In 2 weeks it will be 6 months. :)
  7. I test rode both the GS (watercooled) and the 2014 MY multi a while back. The Ducati is better for cutting through traffic but was a bit frenetic on longer rides.
    I found the BMW better for longer trips, Ducati for shorter trips (and more fun).
  8. GS is a relatively new model so it won't have major changes for a while.
    Ducati have just shown the update for the Multistrada, with variable valve timing.
  9. Having already got a road bike, I'd be inclined to get something as a second bike that is truly capable off the road too. The Multi must be a good bike, but you would be restricting yourself to on road touring if you went with that option. Plus the GSA has like a 30 litre tank as well, so it really means business.

I'd wait for the MY2015 considering BMW would have ironed out some of the kinks of the initial model, and also the MY15 comes with a quickshifter (for both up and down shifts) as well as a keyless fuel lid and ignition, among a few other minor updates.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. KTM 1190 Adventure ... lighter, faster, better offroad and on