Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

BMW 1200 Boxer question

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by jed1, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Well Im new to your forum, so I suppose Ill start by saying Hello.

Im looking at buying a used BMW R1200R in the next few days. The bike is in great condition (2008 model), the only problem is that it was dropped, whilst stationary, onto its right side and there are a few minor scratches on the right side cylinder head.

You can tell that the bike was stationary at the time, becuase the scratches are not directional at all, if you know what I mean.

This brings me to my question - are BMW boxer engine's quite robust when it comes to being dropped on the side, ie is there a chance that significant unseen damage may have been caused to the engine/cylinder head by this minor fall? I appreciate that they must be relatively strong, considering they're used on the GS series of bike, which are taken all around the world.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Safe riding,

Jed.

2. indestructible
    buy it you won't regret it.
    those cylinder heads make great crash bars.

3. Awesome, thats exactly what I wanted to hear....

Thanks heaps smee.

4. Not quite indestructible, but unless it's pouring oil it's fine.

5. Dropped mine on its side at standstill and during a u turn now about 3 times in total
    never had an issue.
    Oil has never spilled out of it.

6. Munich Motorcycles here in Perth used to do reco rocker covers for the 1100 for $120 exchange. Dunno about the twelve.

I bought my R1100RT dropped and there was no discernible problem with the motor once I'd fixed the cover (with Araldite :grin: ). Tough as nails.

7. It's a Bavarian, buy it, they are a nice bike.

I almost bought one myself but opted for the K12R instead.

8. If it's not leaking there's no problem. If it is leaking it's a cheap fix. Plenty of used bits around anyway. You won't regret it.

9. There are head guards which are thick black nylon which take the impact and scratch rather than allow the cylinder head to crack.
    Cheap insurance against a drop
    If you look at my garage pic then look at the cylinder head you will see what it looks like, it's black and goes alongside the bottom of the cylinder head.