Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Blurring the lines between real life and virtual life

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Vani, Feb 3, 2006.

1. I just wondered how everyone else here feels about the time they spend on the internet; either on a forum such as this, browsing misc websites or MMORPGs.
    I have passed through a stage of 'escaping' onto the computer and internet due to what was going on in my RL. Motorcycling is one of the reasons my life has changed this way and also the love and companionship of a very special lady.
    About 2 and a half years ago I was transferred through work from a city that had been my home to a smallish town. I didnt know anyone here and due to work/relationship issues escaped into the virtual world to keep in contact with old friends from where I used to live and I also made a lot of new friends via forums and MMORPGs. In fact most of my spare time was spent on the 'game' that I enjoyed, not so much playing but merely sitting there chatting with various friends from around the globe. It was great sharing the lives of people I hadn't met, talking about what each of us was experiencing and current events that were happening near all of us; one of my friends lived a block away from one of the bus bombings in London last year for example.
    I did feel though that life was slipping away from me and decided (knowing that life is too short) to do things I had always thought of and try to embrace RL more and make it more rewarding.
    So here I am now, 6 months later, with my 2nd motorcycle and the love and companionship of a relatively new partner.
    I tend to have this forum open when I am at work and glance at the new posts whenever I get a chance but rarely tend to visit my game world to chat with my old friends there. A lot of those guys have also moved on due to RL happenings.
    I love getting out on my bike whenever the opportunity presents itself which is almost everyday, and as much as possible I do this with sher who got into motorcycles when she saw how much fun I was having.

So how about you guys, how much of your life is spent on this popular hobby we call the internet?
    It is great fun and you get to chat with and meet people you otherwise wouldn't but is your real life suffering or is there a good balance?

I think I have found this balance. Life is great right now. I have made a lot of changes to how I live and have a lot more planned.

Anyway, a bit of a rant of what is going on in my mind at the moment, I am interested in what you others think.
  2. I spend A LOT of time on the net either playing games, foruming, msning, etc.. But it doesn't affect my real life, if someone i know wants to do something the computer screen gets switched off and i'm out the door in a flash.
  3. The computer is always on, and logged on (ADSL) and since I don't watch TV much , except for the cricket, now, and motor sports, and we don't go out to pubs or clubs or such like, I spend a lot of time on-line.

I don't frequent other forum offerings, and I don't play on-line games, so Netrider it is.

That said, I believe I have a fairly good grasp on reality as well.....
  4. Too much time is spent in front of the PC.

Just before the stinking hot spell we've just had, I used to walk away from it, take the girls for a drive or a walk around the block.
    Go to Williamstown and feed the ducks, take some photos, have an icecream etc, etc,
    But I'm not taking the girls out in the heat.

I don't watch TV, well not until the F1 & NRL starts, I spend alot of time on netrider and my business.

Now that I have a bike again, I'm hoping to be able to get a ride in every now and again. I don't think I've lost touch with reality. Well at least no one has pulled me up yet :)