Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Blue slip inspection tomorrow! Eek

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Scooter_Timmy, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Hello everyone,

I have had my Vespa GTS250ie in storage for the past 9 months and today I dusted it off and re-charged the battery, as I have a blue slip inspection tomorrow morning.

The scooter starts well, but frequently stalls until its warmed up and been revved for a while. Is this likely to be an issue for the bluey inspection? I have it booked for a full service next week, but can't drive it to the mechanic until I have it registered first.

Other than the spluttery start'n'stalls it's in great shape. Is this likely to lead to a fail if I explain to the workshop that its been in storage?

Thanks all.

2. warm it before you go.
  3. your not using 9 month old fuel are u?
  4. Well the mechanic recommended the very best thing to do is fill the tank to the rim before storage and the fuel would be fine for up to 12 months when I returned from overseas.

I planned to ride straight to the service station first thing and empty and refill with new fuel...is that a terrible idea? :(
  5. You fill the bike with fuel to reduce condensation

But fuel does go off...so change and sure all will be fine

If you can ride down there, they shouldn't be fussed. Blue Slip is a Pink Skip + vin and engine number check
  6. I'm yet to see SOLID evidence of the hydrocarbons in petroleum "Going off" within a 12 month period.
    Petroleum has a half life of up to decades (depending on what additives the refineries place in them) therefore the only thing you are up against is the condensation in your tank, which will sit at the bottom, right near your fuel pick-up.
    Petrol "going off" is one of the most widely accepted furfy's that I have ever come across. But to the un-learned, I guess it is plausible ?!
  7. take the long way there. shoulda saved teh old fuel for the lawn mower. prolly the battery needs a good recharge from the alternator. long ride should fix it
  8. Thanks for the replys...Once I started it up this morning it ran beautifully with no splutters. I warmed up for 15 minutes before heading out to refill. After 9 months without a ride I was so buzzed when I finally wound my way to to the mechanic ... 30 mins late naturally :p

Was just too excited to give up and get my ass to work! :LOL: