Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Blue Headlights

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by raven, May 9, 2006.

1. What's everyones thoughts on the new style "blueish" headlights that we see on the new BMW for example, on a motorbike.
    I blew one of my H4's on the way to work this morning and have a set of these at home and was thinking of using them on the bike...but I really don't know if they might be more of a hazzard than a help for bike riders?

Any thoughts

2. so long as the specs match up and they wont damage your bike, why not give them a go?

Go for a ride tonight with them in and let us know what they're like from the riders point of view. would be interesting to see if they really do make a worth while difference.
  3. if they are the proper white/blue lights then yes.... have run them in my car for the last 4 years or so(but never got around to putting one in the bike, but the next bike will have them) ... don't get the crap cheap blue ones, which were around when these lights first came out (not sure if they still exist)they are shit, but the good quality ones (and you will know when you pay for them where they are the good or cheap ones, IMHO are worth every cent
  4. Don't bother, they (blue lights) put out less usable light than standard lights.
  5. What they really need to be doing is putting out some green tinted lights, that would actually help you see.
  6. The blueish lights on a new BMW are most likely a genuine HID setup - probably about 700-800 bucks to install on a bike (but I believe also illegal to fit aftermarket). Blue tinted globes sold in auto stores are designed for looks and are basically a waste of money - genuine xenon-filled halogens do offer a slight improvement in lighting (clear lens but produce a brighter, bluish-white light).
  7. The person who invents a headlight that dosen't reflect horribly on road signs / reflectors etc will probably make a ton of money. Anybody who drives / rides in the country will be only too aware how the bright relectors / signs hide whats around them ... hop....hop....Bang!

Maybe different colour light would be a help?
  8. Honda's currently playing around with thermal imaging on it's cars for spotting animals, people etc. in the dark - wonder how long it'll be before they go trialling it on a Goldwing or something.
  9. Bugger messing around with the blueies then...I'll just buy another good quality regular white H4.
    I've always been quite happy with them on the FJR anyways
    Thanks for all the input guys.. :)
  10. I think its a waste os money else the manufacturers would have had them on the new bikes. And Plus the glare its bloody anoying for the ones in front. :(
  11. The Philips Vision Plus are the best if your after a globe update/upgrade. I put them on all my bikes/cars, and the difference is worth the $40 for a set.
  12. "cost cutting".

Depends on how much you know about light. 4500k tends to be the best for casting useable light without hurting the eyes of folks around you, I think normal headlights are around 3200k? Anything more than 4500k can tend towards a nicer looking colour, but the bluer/purpler the light, the less it's actual effectiveness is and the more damage it can do to the retinae of those around you.
  13. Do you mean 4500KW ? I have never heard of this theory. Do you have something to read on this?
  14. Heh, no. It's the measurement for light. Kelvin. 4500Kelvin. Kelvin is used for the colour of the lightwave, and Lumens is used for the power. As far as I know, anyway. Someone might correct me.

Google is your friend, I have no links immediately at hand, sorry man. Been a very long time since I looked into this stuff, and that was for HID lights rather than regular/xenon bulbs, so I might not even be right.
  15. You're right - the Kelvin scale for colour is based on the light emitted by carbon heated to that temperature. Some manufacturers seem to think that the higher the number the better - I've seen cheap globes advertised as 8000 and even 12000K which would actually be into the purple/violet range of the spectrum (and therefore completely useless for lighting). 4500 is a good colour - 6000K is equivalent to a bright midday sun (so not exactly kind to other road users and can produce excessive glare). Really only see Kelvin ratings for HID globes though any light source can be measured that way.