Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Blown/melted fuse, safe to just replace?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by matressking, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Hi all,
    I was riding my 05 speed triple 1050 the other day when suddenly I started losing power in higher gears, I shifted to 2nd and it was ok for a while but the speedo was way off, telling me I was going 80 when I was below 50.
    Started losing all power so pulled in. Turned bike off. Went to turn it back on and it was completely dead.

Checked fuses and one was blown and actually melted.
    it's the one labelled "instruments, fuel pump relay, ems relay, starter relay".

I would have replaced the fuse to see if I could at least get home but the nearest servo had none. Which is ridiculous.

Came back the next day and replaced the fuse but bike still seemed completely dead.

The battery went flat two weeks ago but im not sure thats it as the lights wouldnt even come on.

I guess my question is that if I charge up the battery, is it safe to just replace the fuse to see if I can ride to a garage.

My view is that fuses are damage control so the worst that could happen is that it blows again but im sure you good people will know better.

Any ideas?
  2. Try it and see if thereis a fault the fuse will continually blow, if not then it wasn't much
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. #3 dividebyzer0, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    Worst case is that something the fuse was supposed to protect sacrificed itself to save the fuse. Considering that the fuse is melted, a wire may melted and have acted as a fuse instead. What rating is the fuse that you pulled out, and can you confirm that the correct rated fuse was installed?

Just noticed that 'Fuel Pump Relay', 'EMS Relay' and 'Starter Relay' are all on that circuit. You wont be able to start or run the bike without those. If a wire has melted and gone open circuit, nothing on that circuit will work whether or not you replace the fuse. You'll need to locate where the open circuit is, fix that, as well as locate the short circuit which caused the fault in the first place. Given that the previous fuse melted, id put a lower rated fuse in there when trying to locate the fault to ensure that the fuse acts like a fuse and blows.

You can charge up the battery and try it with the new fuse, though if nothing has changed it will most likely just blow again as soon as the battery has enough energy to blow it, assuming that the battery is now completely dead, the short is still there and nothing has gone open circuit. No harm in trying. Fuses don't blow by themselves, so if you haven't done anything to fix the cause, it will just blow again.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks guys. I think ill charge the battery at the weekend to rule that out and see what happens.

Its a 10a fuse.
  5. Buy a few replacement fuses. If it is an internal short you may need to disconnect circuits to work out which is the culprit.