Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Blown away

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by knifepoint, Jun 8, 2007.

1. After a long day at work on a friday in the pouring down rain I rode my Honda 100cc scooter home in the rain, with no wet weather gear (it was at home) and I was soaked and freezing. I turned into my street and was blown out of the second lane and pushed right into the footpath and almost into the buildings there.

Usually I can hold my own pretty well, but there is a huge wind tunnel in my street caused by the ugly mass of new Meriton apartments they have built across the street that causes an extreme wind force to push through the new road and into the side of traffic.

the weather in Sydney is nuts at the moment and I'm lucky I could get it under control before I crashed into a car, a house or fell off. This has happened on both sides of the new roads leading to the Meriton apartments, on each side it's like a vacuum of air being pushed so hard that I find it really hard to pilot a straight path past it.

would this problem disappear with getting a heavier bike? (i'm 90kg and scooter is about 90kg)

2. it won't disappear, but it will be easier to control with a heavier bike

3. I had the same problem all day today. I was on the bike for around 2 hours today riding around the Cross, St Peters, Strathfield & Sydney University. In the morning it was the worst and the first time it hit me I got caught off guard and crossed a lane, I tried my hardest not to drift across but it just carried me like I was nothing. I was lucky I was at the front of traffic. For the rest of the day I just had to fight to keep the bike in my lane.

My bike weighs approx 170kg dry and I weigh 60kg. It hasn't helped. haha.

4. Lean, it will stop.

Regards, Andrew.

5. Yeah great idea! Right until it whips around and pushes you the other way. :LOL: Just treat it like all other bad weather, slow down and be a lot more cautious.

6. Hey knife.

Weight helps. But design is also a factor. My Ducati 900SS was a bloody sail - sidewinds just picked it up and threw it all over the place. My ZZR600 isn't great, either. Yet my ZX/9R was nowhere near as bad.

I rode it back from Phillip Island to Adelaide in 2001 (the year wild weather and rain flooded the track and the race was stopped) and it was nuts heading back across the bridge. I've never ridden in stronger winds, but the bike tracked pretty true.

Ask around - some big bikes have reputations as being lousy in wind, others are as solid as a rock. I suspect all would be better than a featherweight scoot.

O.B

7. As above , about the only thing you can do is slow down. A bigger bike can sometimes be better or worse :?

A steady cross wind is easy as its a constant force against you and you can lean into it , gusty wind is no ones friend.

8. Hiya Peoples.
    I remember many many moons ago while crossing the Westgate Bridge getting hit by a gust off wind & blown across 3 lanes! Lucky there was no traffic in the lanes I crossed, ended up going from the extreme right lane to the second from the left lanes, I could have gone 1 more lane, but beyond that & I would have been having flying lessons!
    I was riding a naked 99 CB600f Hornet.

Aido. :)>

9. Naked bikes are less subject to this effect, and yes weight makes a difference.

So a big bike with no fairing (something like a GSX1400, or a Harley) won't be blown around much... but a big tourer with big fairings may be.