Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Blowing light bulbs

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by sonja, Aug 14, 2006.

1. I have just replaced my tail/brake light for about the 4th time in less than 18 months.

A very kind driver let me know while we were in heavy traffic (for Canberra).

Anyone got any ideas why this happens?

2. On the GPX ?

Not sure mate, i would imagine something is short circuiting it out. Never had that problem when i was on my GPX.
  3. I knew it wasn't normal.

I rekon it's probably shoddy electrics or summat, but I can't be sure. I'm just getting a little tired of it, but don't want to be without her for more than a few hours again. It's all very annoying.

4. how have you been handling the globes? were there dirty big fingerprints on them? i've heard/read somehwere that fingerprints create 'hotspots' and thus prone to blow up more frequently...

is somebody able to confirm this?
  5. That only happens with Halogen globes as far as I know.
  6. I never had any problem with my tail/brake bulb so far since I got my bike 18 months ago.
  7. Get the charge rate checked out as even with the 20K a year I do I only go through one set.
  8. Concur with the charge rate check. I had a similar problem with gsx400 a few years ago (in canberra as it happens). Burnt out a few regulators for whatever reason, I went through 3 in the end before I sold the bike. Tell tale sign is if you look at the headlight while giving a rev if the light intensity goes up and down with revs then that could be it.
  9. Thanks for the advice everyone.
  10. Check for water ingress
  11. That'll take a bit for the electrics, but the area where the bulb is was clean and dry.

I'll have to see what I can pull off to look at the wiring when i get home.
  12. If it's only tail lights, it probably won't be voltage regulator. It's probably a vibration issue, so I'd check tail light mountings for tightness or damaged rubbers, and check that there's not something loose at the rear of teh bike banging around causing a vibration. Higher quality bulbs may help too, try some Hellas.
    If that all checks out, maybe time for a couple of LED bulbs.

Regards, Andrew.
  13. I'll see what I can dig up.

As to the LEDs: The brighter the better! :grin:
  14. Bear inmind it could be water in the thing.

I blew 3 rear lights in the car before I noticed on cold mornings that condensation was inside the brake light...

the black external seal had a small split in it that I'd never noticed before, $5 later it was all fixed.

Just check for that in the morning (should be pretty easy)