Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

bloody trucks

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by mrorbid1, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Me and a couple of mates decided to get our l's so we could enjoy the pleasures of riding on the open road but within 3mths one of us has given up and has his bike for sale already. Wat happened?
    Riding thru town he came up to an intersection which he had right of way and crossing traffic had to give way, as he came up he noticed a truck coming up to the give way sign he took note and took the appropriate precautions and wat does the truck do ploughs straight thru no slowing, looking or caring who or wat was in his way. With out much time my mate does the only thing possible and flicks the wrist to just miss out on being smeared over the trucks bull bar. The bull bar nicked the rear of his bike altering his direction sending him head on towards an on coming car but managed to avoid a collision and pulled over.
    The truck seemingly unfazed about his actions continues without hessitation, the cager fortunately pulls over to check on him and record wat she could about the truck. police think its a locall truck but cant do anything else :evil:
    Now 2 days later his bike is at the local dealer waiting for a new home.

Now i can understand his reaction (selling the bike) but as a firm believer in getting back on the 'horse' want to try and help him get back out on the road without pushing him and doing wat he was enjoying emensly. Any tips?
    Sorry bout the post length.
  2. Tell him it could have happened in a car aswell? Although..if it did, his outcome would have been alot worse. IMO.
  3. I honestly think he needs to give it up...
    This is just his first scare!...it's going to happen regularly to varying degrees for as long as he rides, and since he obviously can't handle it, why push it?
    I hate to sound discouraging to a new rider, but...

4. Sorry to hear...
    And no I would not like to be in a similar situation...

But I guess before we all jump on the bike, we should take note that, these things will happen and scared or not, be prepared for all the surprises!

I've only been on for no longer than a week... to count the hours, it wouldn't even add up to a day... but I know one thing for sure, every time I get out there, I'll get a scare of some sort, so be prepared I tell myself... be prepared.

For your friend, I guess he had his moral and confidence for the bike all taken out of him, it might take some time to recover, but I'd best say not to push him, it will only make it worst. But if he doesn't feel comfortable on the bike, maybe he shouldn't stay on, otherwise he'll be nervous while riding and being nervous... it might cause accidents... and I'm sure you don't want that.

Let him build up his confidence on the bike again.
  5. Awareness comes with time in the seat but it sounds like your mate did ok. For some of us, every time we ride we have a scare of some sort. With time in the seat some things that used to give us a scare dont any more because we're better riders than we were or that we know our bikes better. I think if your mate gets back on and rides in areas he knows and gets some confidence he'd be ok. But its up to him and if he's down on confidence, he's more likely to crash.
  6. This is so true. Every corner I take, every time I weigh up a potential lane splitting opportunity, every time I come up to an intersection or enter a new street I'm thinking of all the things that could make me crash - both extrinsically and intrinsically.

And yes - for most of us there isn't a single ride that doesn't get the heart pumping at some stage.
  7. As much as I hate to agree, I'm with raven's opinion 100%.
    What a shame that his first major fright is enough for him to put his bike up for sale. This is the world of motorcycling!
    More and more morons are inhabitating the roads these days, but at the end of the day, it is our own responsibility to ensure our own safety.
    Your mate learned a valuable lesson with his near miss, thank God he sensed what could happen and took appropriate action. That is motorcycling.
  8. Not a good experience but he did the right thing in the end.

Look, i donno.... its kinda like skydiving (being into skydiving) its one of the best things in the world but there are risks and some people just find it hard to accept that the parachute will stop you.

Honestly, i don't blame them, jumping out of a perfectly good airplane with what you hope will be a perfectly good parachute prob aint to natural but if you think about it, its safer then driving a car or walking on the street.

Some people still just cant do it and thats it, some people need to take baby steps and they will get there but everyone needs to go at there own pace and i think that your mate should do the same. Give him some time then let him know what hes missing out on and get him to go for a spin up and down a local road and let him make the next step from there.

Everyones different, but everyone needs to take it one step at a time with these things, some bigger steps, some shorter but if he keeps at it, he will get there.
  9. thanks for the replies guys and yeah i agree with everythin thats been said just a shame it effected him that much, dunno if i want him back on the bike for his sake or mine cos it was pretty funny watchin the 3 of us cruise down the high way with l plates flappin round. funny thing is he took me for my first ride so i could get my confidence up and i like to repay the favour but he seems to have made up his mind. :cry:
  10. #10 nicholas, Apr 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015

Choppers prescribes your friend a dose of "harden the fcuk up!"

Just Kidding Kidding :LOL:

What your friend needs to do to get back on the saddle is go riding with a person that has been riding for quite some time. Second, he needs to ride the back streets for a while and build his way back up to main roads and so on.

I'm blown away you guys actually went on the highway whilst on your Ls, maybe your friend was a little out of his riding depth when he had that near miss with the truck. you need to build up those road sense skills just like you would with your riding skills. it takes time.
  11. #11 mrorbid1, Apr 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    have to go on the highways round here to get anywhere so to us wasnt really an issue as all the other learners have to do the same just means cagers have to be more patient.

Wouldnt say he was out of his depth he was on one of the back roads that run thru town so he wasnt trying to ride above his skill just tryin to ride home.

As to a dose of 'harden the f@#$ up' i was gonna say the same thing but thought i should be a little bit more sensitive :-# But like i told him i dont think he should be giving it up because of wat happen but i can understand his reasoning (arent i a nice guy O:) )
  12. Mrorbid, perhaps you could have a chat with your friend just to make sure it's his decision and not someone putting pressure on him. If it really is him, maybe he was never fully in it to begin with. Being on a bike does make you more vulnerable and we all must accept that. Things can go wrong in a car too, but generally you'll be better off. Your mate might not have fully thought about that until now and the good points of being on a bike might simply not outweigh the risks for him.

You're kidding, right?! It's not like they went on an autobarn. They just went on a road that possibly took them up to 100/110 km/hr. Unless there's something particulaly difficult about that road (even then, just build up to it) - why not? The open road can be a lot safer than commuting or even dottering around all those driveways in suburbia.