Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bloody Stripped Screw - Tool Suggestions

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by 12RS, Oct 29, 2012.

1. It's a biatch. Under the handlebar holders on a k1200rs.

Tried all possible way to extract it so I'm going to have to screw it.

My Dremel can get up there and I'm thinking it's a good excuse to buy some sweet diamond encrusted carbide tipped drill for it and just get it out the ugly way.

Any other suggestions? I know a photo would help, but I'm over it and it's embarrassing. :greyalien:

2. Easyout. from bunnings/hardware store.. bestest and easiest way to do it.. and you might still get to buy that carbide tipped drill to drill the initial hole up the center of the screw.. then put this easyout into that hole.. turn it the WRONG way and just keep turning.. and bam.. eventually the screw comes out.
  3. Tried an Impact Driver? A handheld one worked wonders for me when I stripped a screw trying to clean my carbies.
    Good luck. Don't get too stressed haha,
  4. I think you'll find you need to turn the ezi-out the correct way to unscrew the broken screw/bolt, that would be anti-clockwise.
  5. yeah.. but it feels wrong for the first bit to screw the easyout into the old screw.. depends on how you look at what your doing.. :)
  6. Some of the easy-out type designs work best if you give them a light tap with a hammer first to get them to bite, then turn them anti-clockwise only.

Other option is drill bits that are fluted to drill in reverse which in themselves can often be enough to free a stuck screw, and if not they've created the pilot for an easy out without any risk of driving the screw in even further.

Of course just drilling the screw with ever increasing sized drill bits until the head breaks free of the rest of the screw can work too - assuming there's enough metal left sticking out when you remove the part it was holding to get a pair of vice-grips onto the stump.
  7. Well it's all sorted. There was so little room I decided to take on the project from the top down.
    I undid a few screws and the top of the fork. I could then rotate the top cover I had to get off.
    After a little gun grease it moved round and I undid it from the top.

Now just got to get the fairing together and some sweet riding.