Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bloody Kawa ignition system

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by willa01, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Hi,
    Can someone please help!!!
    I bought a 2005 zx6r from Fowles that was supposed to come with a key. Well.......it's gone missing and they can't find it! Boo Hoo for me coz now it's left me up the creek-no paddle-no operational motorbike!
    I have the key codes from Kawa National, but have been told that this won't help. I need a new set of blank keys including a master, and a new ECU to get it started.
    Why can't the new keys be cut to code, and the damn keys re-programmed to the existing ECU? It's not like I flogged the thing off the street!
    Does this mean that every poor bastard that looses their keys is up for several thousand dollars to replace the whole system?
    Need answers from someone in the know. Apparently instructions to "Buy the lot" seem to be coming from greedy dealers after my cash.

2. caveat emptor :cry:
  3. If you were pretty handy with all things mechanical/electrical, you could probably megasquirt it pretty cheap, and you'd end up with more power as well

4. What does the key do to the computer, send it a code like a remote?
    Anything can be bypassed, just keep digging, someone somewhere has done it before.
    I reckon any EFI computer expert could bypass any feature like that fairly easily.

Regards, Andrew.
  5. Handy suggestion guys. Will not try to "hot-wire" the ignition for fear of losing my eyebrows in tragic incident. I wish I had my 99 R6 back....put the key in...turn it on...vrooom.
    This new Kwaka is a pain in my rectum.... :oops:
  6. Try askin some one on a kwaka web site ksrc
  7. Like most new cars the Kwaka ignition has an immobiliser. Once you lose the keys well the you need new ECU. Toyota cars have the same system. I dont believe they can be hotwired. Luckily when I got mine from the auctions it came with 3 keys (two unused). If you look around at the wreckers you might be able to get another ECU.
  8. Two thoughts.

Talk to someone higher up at Kawasaki. This sounds like someone at the dealer doesn't want to go to the hassle of helping you. replacing the ECU really does sound wrong.

Also, if when you bid they said they had keys, I'd be making it Fowles problem. Ultimatly they will have to take the bike back, if they won't cover the expence. They will fight like buggery however, as they would have already payed the previous owner.