Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bloody Design Engineers

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by VTRBob, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Yeah so I'm off on a rant again, :LOL:

So how hard is it to remove a radiator from a 3.5tonne roller ?

Try 5hrs to get to it, and another hr to undo the mounts/hyd lines.

The engine is in arse about. ie: the pumps that never stuff up have the easiest access, yet the water pump [ what Im heading for ] alternator etc are in the most inaccessible part of the whole machine :evil:

1: Remove the cab with all the electrics and hyd lines
    2: Remove the wheels to gain access to 2 8mm bolts
    3: Pry out the radiator through a hole with only 5mm clearance on all sides
    Woo hoo I can see the water pump!

Now to replace ONE gasket and put it all back together........ hmm should take me all Mon and most of Tues next week.

Very user friendly machines, but absolute pricks to work on.

The cab off, sitting behind the main frame

Yes thats a radiator with two of the six hyd lines showing, the other four and water hoses are on the other side, which require losing skin get too.

The workshop manual says to toss a coin as to either removing the engine or cab, but if the radiator HAS to come out, the cabin has to come off !

Why can't they design easy to use and maintain ?
  2. Don't ya just love how these guys, sitting behind a desk, design without taking into account the 'hows' of future maintenance. :roll:
    My biggest gripe is the location of engine numbers on certain vehicles , it's almost like they don't want them to be seen FFS.
  3. Fair call Bob.

I know it doesn't make it any easier, but design teams get given a brief and have to design within certain compromises.

I'd hope that they recognised their cluster fcuk and beefed up the design life and capacity on these kind of components so that they wouldn't need to be got at often... it hasn't helped you any though...

...there is another explanation... the desgin team for the 70's British Jag moved over to this dozer company... that might explain it. :)
  4. Like modern cars, it is probably really easy to assemble on the production line. I bet radiator, engine etc are assembled, then the tub is lowered over the top.
    Cars are like this, engine and transmission, plus engine/suspension crossmember are just bolted up from underneath as an assembly, with lots of components aleardy assembled to teh powertrain.

Regards, Andrew.
  5. You have obviously never experienced the joys of maintaining the finest products of British motor engineering - very similar approach to designing for easy maintenance

I know someone with an early 60s Bentley, who has to remove the left front guard to change one bank of spark plugs.
  6. What about 16 bolts holding the bell-housing to the engine on the Triumph sixes? 4 of which were inaccessible??

That looks like a mongrel of a job, Bob, I hope the owner is prepared for the bill :LOL:.
  7. :LOL:

Conversation will go:

"SHIT!...............How much to trade it in right now?"

Regards, Andrew.
  8. Too true, all these weird special tools, thin sockets etc... needed to get at those things.
  9. *puts his hand up*

Yeah, the joys of owning a mid-engined sportscar which uses the powerplant from a transverse-mounted FWD.

Easy to read the engine number in a Corolla. Takes someone who knows exactly where it is, a set of mirrors and a few lights to find it in the MR2. :cry:

So far, out of the four times the MR2 has been re-registered in a new state, three times they inspector has said, "Well, I can see 3 of the digits and they match; The last state you were in said it's fine, so we'll say it's fine too."
  10. Well its one of our own hire machines so I wont have a customer complaining about the bill :wink:

But what I will get is a query from head office about the time taken :?

So I've already covered my arse last thurs by calling our company guru on all things roller :LOL: , and asked him about the "how too"

He was the one that emailed me the relevant w/shop manual pages, with a postscript!

"Bob why is it you always seem to get the 1st off repairs to any of our new machines ? Your just lucky I guess , looking at the manual myself, I'd guess your looking at 2.5 to 3 days to do this.
    If you work out any short cuts let me know and I'll update the manual. Plus like last time can you take plenty of pictures and send me the faulty pump/gasket, so I can do a report for our guys o/s"

My last repair like this was a suspected rear main on a 27tonne roller with one of the new tier3 Cummins motors with a mere 200hrs on the clock.
    Ends up the rear main was fine, but on assembly the liquid gasket wasn't applied to the seal keeper, therefore letting it 'weep'
    That one started a worldwide recall to check that particular setup on that model, with 32 machines found to be faulty........... I bet someone got his/her arse kicked for that little omission
    :shock: :LOL:
  11. Looks like loads of fun, mate. Let us know how it ends up.