Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bloody Battery

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by pete the freak, Jul 3, 2006.

1. So I've got this Hyosung right. It's a great bike except for one thing, the battery is stuffed.

A couple of weeks ago I accidentally :oops: left the bike switched on in the car-hole for a couple of days and completely killed the battery. I then charged the battery up, but it would hold the charge. I figured that it was because I'd completely drained the battery, so rather than waste time and effort on a warranty claim, I just went out and bought a brand new battery.
    I've had the brand new battery in for just over a week now, and last night at the supermarket it wouldn't start again.

So it seems that the battery isn't recharging itself. So how do I check this? I'm not too good at electrics, but I'm assuming I'll need a multimeter. Where do I chack and what am I looking for??

Thanks

2. With the bike running check from the + terminal to the frame, you should read about 14v

3. Hmm.... Regulator/rectifier?

4. Yah, that's what I'm thinking. I'm just looking for it in the workshop book I've got.

How do I test if it's working or not??

5. See above. It needs to charge => than 12 v and less than about 16. This is a rough and ready check There may be some other numbers for amps in the manual. But if your range is outside of the numbers above its either cooking the bat or not charging.

Lots of bikes have a main fuse in the charge circuit. Check that.

6. Oh that bike is a bit too modern for me to be sure of this so this might be rubbish but a fuse in the chage curcuit may not be in the fuse panel. It may be in a plastic bayonet type fuse holder in one of the wires hanging of the battery (on the live side not the earth side) Or this suggestion might be complete rubbish and they might now integrate it into the fuse panel.

7. to qualify above, if it's charging under about 12.5v you have an under charging prob may be the brushes, fuse, reg, if it's over about 15.5 you have over charging prob (cooking the battery) in this case probably the Reg.

8. Cheers dudes, thanks for the suggestions. I've now got all the 'electrical system' pages from the service manual printed out, and I'll be "borrowing" the multimeter from work tonight.

I should be able figure out.. I think. Otherwise I'll be ressurecting this thread tomorrow...

Either way I think it's going back to the shop for a warranty claim. Let's just hope this isn't the start of the "Hyosung Curse".

Finger crossed lads.

9. Chances are that you won't get a new battery if you make a warranty claim, but you should get the fault repaired under warranty.

Give the workshop a call and talk to them about the problem that you have, they may call you a 'Silly Billy' but I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Save your self the drama of fault finding. Your covered for 2 years, use the warranty!

I've got a '06 GT650R and just replaced the jets, had to crank the cranski outta it to fill the carb bowls again.