Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Blocked breather hole???

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by blackjacket, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Hi guys,

went for a ride tonight but ran into some "hiccups" after coffee and on the way home. The bike (2T 125) sputtered and wouldnt make any power after around 8k RPM, but that limit would vary between 6k and 10k.

First I thought it was the new fuel I put in in the arvo, so I stopped at a servo and bought some octane booster, but that didn't fix it. I discovered that it would run fine for a while after stopping, but would then act up again.

I found that it would run fine if I left the fuel cap open. The tank is about 3/4 full. After riding for a bit like that, i closed the fuel cap and it got me home OK.

Is this a blocked breather hole? If so, how do I clear it without contaminating the tank? (Dunno where it is, going to look in the morning) Or what else could it be? And why would it do this randomly after coffee, but not right after I filled up earlier in the day?

2. First thing is to try a new spark plug. Not one you have used and put aside as a spare, but a new one.

If it still plays up but runs fine with the tank cap off you most definitely have a blocked breather hole in the cap. Look closely and you will be able to see it on the under side. It should allow air in, but some/most now are not supposed to let air and fumes out.

Cleaning it could be a problem.. You have to be careful using compressed air. Have you checked a Cagiva forum in the UK? You might need a new cap.

Trevor G