Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Blipping the throttle before shutting off engine

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by bulby, Jan 25, 2012.

1. I was going to post this in the newbie subforum, but thought it might be more suitable here since it is a bit technical.
    I've tried searching the net, and the general consensus was to not do it for cars unless you have a really old (carburetted) car. I can't seem to find anything about bikes though.

So I've just remembered that an uncle of mine always blips the throttle before switching off the engine with both cars and bikes. I must admit, it does sound pretty good. But I wonder if this do the bike good or harm, and why.
  2. Only good for old carburettor driven engines. Burns off some fuel to leave the cylinders a bit drier/cleaner. On modern vehicles it's just people rubbing their throttle bodies with their heavy wrists... if you catch my drift. ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Thanks. I guess I'll keep doing it then :D
  4. #4 jag131990, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    LOL. I guess he didn't catch your drift. XD
  5. #5 Vertical C, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    He does have an Across which is carbied.

I have heard the opposite though, for carbies and that it is bad to do it as the fuel is more likely to go bad in smaller quantities (why you also drain the carbies if you were to "winterise" the bike).

I have always erred on that side with my bikes. It does seem wankerish as well.
  6. Pretty much pointless, IMO.

Your uncle probably started doing it with his '73 Victa 2-stroke lawnmower because someone at a BBQ one day said it was the way to go.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Now I'm confused =/

Not sure if it's good or bad for the bike, but nobody seems to mention that it's bad to NOT do it. I guess I should stop then?

And yeah. I thought it's fine since my Across is carbied :p
    Having said that, I only do it when I get home since doing it in public does sound kinda like "ooh look at me, I got a bike".
  8. It is a practice that belongs in the history books along with burning witches at the stake.
  9. It is neither good or bad for the bike or car.
    It SOUNDS good....that's it, that's all there is too it.
    The main rumour was it kept the bowls full on carbs. We have had pumper carbs since the seventies....so pointless on them.
    The fuel in the head will evaporate in seconds at running temp.
  10. All things being equal I don't think a throttle blip at shutdown is going to be beneficial or detrimental.

The same cannot be said for start-up though.

Catch my drift?