Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Blindspot mirrors on bikes

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Ananda22, Feb 9, 2006.

1. does anyone use those little mirrors that show your blind spot? cause i rekon it would be safer to use them rather than doing a quik head check.. ??

any thoughts guys?

2. I have and use them. They are particularly helpful on long haul trips (600ish km per day)at 100kmph. Reduces repetitive neck strain. But, I would add the caveat that I don't rely on them exclusively. :)

3. I like the body twist and head check, it's a nice stretch.

4. TURN YOUR HEAD. It's scary at first because you tend to lose your line, but that goes away. The mirrors are too small to be useful and take away mirror space. And they still don't take away the need to turn your head. IMO.

5. Turn your head. No amount of mirrors will be as effective. You just have to do it.

6. Nope. "Mirrors never say 'Go', they only say 'No'"

To have enough coverage to show you *everything* you need to look for, the blindspot mirror would have to be so convex that the images you see in them would be too small to be useful.

Might be OK at night for spotting headlights, but they don't give enough reliable info about what's there and how fast it's moving.

If a headcheck is too hard, maybe you need a different jacket, helmet or bike.

7. I've never heard that expression. It's a good one. :)

8. Do you ride a bike on the road yet?? I only assume you don't because of your profile saying Bike SOON! If i am correct i ASSUME you have done little riding and therefore little headchecking. To me it really isn't a strain. It's quick and allows you to see exactly how close everything is and at what speed it is approaching. Like what Moike said, if it's too hard then you need to do it differently, get a new helmet or jacket or maybe even consider a different bike.

You should also never stare while doing your head check. It should be a rapid 'glance' backwards then forwards again. You shouldn't analyse the situation with your head turned, rather you should have a quick look and then while your turning your head back, let you brain analyse what it just saw and make your decision then. You should MINIMISE the time in which your head is turned as much as possible for obvious reasons.

Your brain is alot faster then your are (i.e. don't stare to work it out, let your brain tell you what the quick glance showed)

9. if you ride early model jap sport bikes you have no choice ......... as all you can see in the mirrors is your elbows

10. Headchecks are far better option.

Better to spend the money on some oggy knobs or safety gear.

11. sorry, but nothing can be safer than doing a head check

12. i totally agree with kishy here its a safty issue and plus with a mirror u cant actually tell how far away the car is....i wouldnt want to risk it

13. i'm not actually comfortable with the term 'blind spot'.

14. Couldnt agree more there Moike

15. There is no blind spot on a bike if ya using ya head, as advised
    when everyone does their licensing