Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Blind spots

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by ibast, Jun 10, 2005.

1. I have been reading a few forums about how bad car drivers are and how they don't look when it struck me that some of you may not be aware of this.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cuius/idle/percept/blindspot.htm

It particully applies when looking through one eye, to the side, such as when glancing into the lane next to you.

Be aware of this and don't hang around next to cars. Be a little ahead of the driver if you can.

2. Totally agree, blind spots can be a killer. This is one of the reasons I am glad I have a quiet pipe, I can actually hear the presence of cars behind and just beside me which is great.

3. Yep, I always to a 'saftey check' before pulling out of a junction for this very reason...

4. Ahead or behind but never beside, is the way I was taught to drive a car and ride a motorcycle.

Also - head for go, mirrors for no. Meaning on a bike should also be doing the headchecks before moving/changing lanes (suppose it applies equally well in the car)

So many people do not use mirrors and do not do head checks when manoeuvring their vehicles. Sometimes I think that some drivers have a neck brace on and can't even move their head from the forward facing position. The number of drivers I've seen recently trying to reverse their vehicles without looking behind them, just relying on their mirrors, makes me wonder.

5. THat is fun I love those sort of things.....

I had half my office stareing at my screen with one eye closed and laughing......

Gotta love optical illutions