Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Blind spot rage!!!!!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jeffatav, Sep 24, 2007.

1. I was riding from Brookie to Mosman at about 9.00am today and was travelling in the traffic along with a guy on a er6 with a female pillion.

We were both in the left hand transit lane and they went ahead and into the middle lane and travelled right beside a car that was always going to move (right) out of this transit lane.

Anyway, the driver made a move into this lane and was only through some countersteering and the driver going back in that there was no collision.

He probably looked in his rear view mirror and saw a sinlge headlight (mine) and assumed all was as previous.

Later on at the lights, the rider went off in a rage at the drivers window.

Now most of us will be saying it was the drivers fault for not looking over his shoulder.............and that is true.

But what I believe is the rider should take responsibility for their positioning in traffic.

If the rider had followed my three rules of riding, there would have been no issue or dangerous situation.

1. ride like you are invisible
    3. pass wide and fast

food for thought

2. Ken oaf, the rider may be at fault in a legal sense, but any rider that couldn't see that coming is his own worst enemy.
  3. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Regards, Andrew.
  4. Yep I never hang in blind spots. I have had a few come over even when overtaking. You just have to be extra vigulant.

As we were taught at the P's course, turn the blame inside "what could I have done differently to avoid the situation".

5. This is where a booming exhaust has its benefit.

Since commuting on the scooter to work, I have had an infinite number of lane burglars come to get me.

At least the R1 blasts the membrane off their wax infested cagers ears!
  6. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  7. Well-read, I believe Jeff; I try to be as visible as possible, either I stay behind or I make sure I'm in front, but beside is the suicide spot....
  8. I actually cut a bike off once. Being a rider, I check blind spots and it still happened. We're bloody hard to see sometimes.

This bloke went off at me like in the OP, despite the fact I had my blinker on for a few seconds (as always) before moving. My fault, but he's the one that's gonna get flattened.
  9. I got cleaned up once like this, couldn't accelerate out of the way fast enough due to being on a 250cc, couldn't change lanes because of no other lane to go to, couldn't hit the brakes enough as the car was slowing down to turn in front of me. Yep, pushed into the gutter and nothing I could do. Despite kickin the car and honkin the horn, she had NO idea until it was all over.

Sold that bike and never owned a 250cc since. Hooray for Horsepower!
  10. +1, know what the OP meant. I always try to be either a metre or so behind the cars in opposing lanes, or level with the drivers windows. Only times I've been caught was when I wasn't being blind spot aware due to other things on my mind.
  11. shish!...
    let's see...blind spot...not seen (dah)...abusing driver down the road...
    F*kwit rider...who put his pillion in danger, because he lacked the forsight to see an obvious developement..(groan)
    I hate people who screw up, and then think that it is everyone elses fault!
  12. "Be well ahead, or well behind, but as far as practical, never beside."

If you have to be beside then at least be level with the driver door, pick a road position that gives you some space, and look for the earliest opportunity to get past and infront.

It doesn't gaurantee you'll never get into another merged on situation, but the odds are well in your favour.

...the driver DID see in the end though and avoided the incident, so why the road rage??
  13. Yeah...quite right, mate...Not much use being in the right, if you're laying on the road with head crushed.
    We ARE hard to see sometimes...even when drivers do look out for us, so it's up to us riders to ensure our own safety as much as possible.
    (reiterated for the sake of any Learners reading)
  14. sometimes however it's unavoidable.

I always do my best to not sit beside a car in traffic. either power ahead or brake so I'm behind. But take this scenario (this happens to me all the time).

Two lanes fo traffic. Peak hour. Left lane is stationary due to bus stopping. right lane is moving at 60kph. you're in the right lane.
    Because the left lane is stationary, you can't HELP but be in the blind spot of a car at some point as you're passing them. The dickhead driver in the left lane choses the exact moment when you're in their blind spot to suddenly swerve their car into the right lane, accelerating hard, without indicating or turning their head to look. You jump hard on the horn & counter steer around the car. The driver waves a 'sorry' at you.

Can someone explain to me how I'm meant to avoid THAT?
  15. Stay at home???????? :LOL:
  16. You can't completely avoid that. In their mirrors and because they are trained by habit to look for cars, the driver sees Car-SPACE-Car, instead of Car-You-Car. Cover your brakes, be vigilant, and ready for it to happen...AND FORGET ABOUT BLOWING THE HORN...you are waisting valuable mental cycles on a BS little thing when you need it for other more important items that you are better to put your minute reaction times allowance into...
    Depending on how you feel in a given situation, either ride in the LH Wheel mark so they will better see your headlight, or ride in the RH Wheelmark so you have some space if they do swerve out of their lane.
    I do both, depending on how I feel as it's unfolding ahead of me...

Please riders...forget your bloody horns...they are useless in most cases.
  17. You can't completely avoid it - you can only do stuff to limit the risk.

- Weave around so your headlight movement attracts peripheral vision.

- Keep an eye on the right hand and see whether it's going for the indicator/wheel.

- Keep low gear and revs up.

- Stay vigilant.

- keep an eye out for car body language 100's of meters ahead... get ready to avoid incident when approaching a suspect car.

...No easy answers for that scenario unfortunately...
  18. another way is to put on the high beam when you are approaching the line and leave it on until past them all and do the weave............................I am sure the high beam has saved me a couple of times as the cars give a little "start" and stop.

BTW high beam only during daylight...............a high beam during daylight is no where near as bad as during the night and if a copper ever pulls you over for it (and they have better things to do!) ya just plead ignorance and didn't notice the switch/blue light on! (sorry sir)

19. Or ride in the left lane? :p
  20. Ways to avoid that :

1 - Get a siren or klaxon horn fitted to your bike, and use it often.
    2 - Get a flashing light brighter than an ambo's
    3 - Ride up behind the cage and as you overtake them right alongside them, tap-tap your way along by tapping your hand along the length of the car.
    4 - Pop a wheelie, mount the car's bonnet, and floor the throttle to get over the roof and down the front bonnet.
    5 - Call the driver on his/her mobile and inform them politely that "you are about to be overtaken. Please remain in your lane, and have a nice day"
    6 - Fire a shotgun into their rear window to make them swerve off the road and out of your way.
    7 - Dress like a Hell's Angel and hang around behind the car for a bit in order to give the cagers a good look at your menacing looks. Put the fear of god into them, making them tread lightly.