Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Blind soldier 'sees' through his tongue

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Tweetster, Mar 16, 2010.

1. A soldier blinded by a grenade in Iraq is now able to identify shapes and walk unaided thanks to technology that enables him to "see" with his tongue.

24-year-old Lance Corporal Craig Lundberg from Liverpool in the UK can also read words using the BrainPort device, despite being totally blind.

Source & full story here:

2. I saw something about a blind guy in the states who can "see" using echo location by clicking his tongue, much like a bat does.
    Can't remember where I read it but I was pretty amazed.
  3. [ibast . . . must . . . keep . . . it . . . out . . . of . . . the .. . .bedroom]
  4. what happens when his mobile phone gives the device interference?? Free LSD effect??
  5. I'm "seeing" some advantages!!.... :LOL:
  6. It'd certainly reduce complaints about not finding things.

7. "It feels like licking a nine volt battery or like popping candy.".... wonder if the sensations are transferred??..... :-k
  8. I think you're thinking of Ben Underwood. He lost his eyes as a kid due to cancer.

It's a bit tragic but he passed away last year, aged 16, from a relapse of the cancer that took his eyes.

He was pretty amazing though. If I recall, he could shoot hoops, locate and identify fire hydrants and bins, ride a bicycle, and even play video games and WIN. :shock:
  9. #9 stu_h, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015

this guy..
  10. Sounds like he's got this disability

12. .. must come with GPS then!.. :D
  13. There's a joke there about size but I can't put my finger on it.
  14. .....I'm sure you are not alone there!!...