Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Blackle.com... Google but black

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Lectre, Jul 19, 2007.

1. I just received this in an email and thought it interesting... I've not pondered how different web pages could use more electricity than others before... anyway, enjoy!

Blackle is google - but a black screen version.

A few months ago, TreeHugger Mark Ontkush wrote a post on his blog EcoIron titled "Black Google Would Save 750 Megawatt-hours a Year " .

The post lays out the following train of thought: "an all white web page uses about 74 watts to display, while an all black page uses only 59 watts." Google, which has a white background and gets about "200 million queries a day" could reduce global energy use by 750 Megawatt-hours a year by simply changing the color of its homepage to black.

In response to this post a black version of Google emerged called Blackle.com. According to Blackle's homepage at publication time, 4,408.917 Watt hours have been saved by it .

Nice ideas. But how does the search measure up? Very well indeed.

Use 'web search' selection on the Blackle screen to get same results from Google.

Give it a whirl yourself and start saving energy one search at a time.

So here's your site: http://www.blackle.com/

Consider using this as your home page or default search engine.

Consider passing this email on to people you know and spreading the word.

To find out more go to here: http://www.blackle.com/about/
  2. And it looks wicked too!
  3. Interesting idea, but I've got an LCD monitor which uses just as much power to display black as it does white :p (or at least that's what I've been told).
  4. That does look sweet - It draws a lot of attention to my screen when I should be working :oops:
  5. hmmm

maybe bring this up in the 'site discussion' section, we can change the NR layout to black too :grin:

im with Ktulu tho, it looks awesome!

good @ night too, not so amazingly bright in contrast to everything else when the lights are off
  6. And having a google search in your browser toolbar saves how much?

7. Spot on babeeeeeee.
  8. Pointless if you own an LCD, backlight is on all the time regardless, CRT on the other hand though...
  9. And here I was thinking that finally! A search engine to fulfill my ebonic search term needs.
  10. Someone has to use the latest greenie wanker phrase in this thread, so here goes........
    carbon footprint! :jerk:
    I swear, if I hear one more bandwagon greenie say that, someone will die!

Rrgards, Andrew.

11. Easily done. If you use Firefox, get the "Web Developer toolbar" i.e at here

Then load up the toolbar and you have a plethora of things to play with. I.e "on the fly" change all CSS code to the way YOU want it, remove all CSS code, certain styles, edit cookies, forms, images Misc, Resize, Options are all "options" in the Web Developer toolbar. It's a very powerful addon :)
  12. And here i thought it was Powa to the Brudders site !!
    turns out to be another enviro initiative !!
  13. +1 Micky, that's what I thought too :LOL:.
  14. But you can't 'search Australia only' on the toolbar google.

15. true, but I think you will up the Aus sites' hit priority by making sure the toolbar uses google.com.au instead of google.com.
  16. I love these made up figures. Based on what sized monitor? Based on what length of time you are actually looking at the Google page? What a load of heart string tugging green shyte! :mad:
    We'd save more energy by getting dressed in the dark. :)
  17. did someone say ebonics?
  18. Yes, but you'd probably look sillier when the lights came on!! :LOL:.

Actually I've just looked at the site; they should have called it Blackhole :LOL:.
  19. So does this mean if you only look at dark-skinned naked women on the internet you help save the environment? :LOL:.
  20. Wouldn't the extra power usage from running another server merely to query the Google server cancel out any gains from having it black?

Oh, and black will use less power on an LCD. While the backlight is always on, the pixels will be turned off.