Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Black Spur (Vic)

Discussion in 'Hazardous Road Condition Reports' started by Bluefreak, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Resurfacing work using tar and a loose stone toppy...

Was up there today (16 Feb) and riding conditions are poor, choose another route for the next little while...

2. Oh damn. I was just thinking of going when I wake up later this afternoon. Haven't been for ages.
  3. Find an alternate route to Marysville, shoot up to the top of Lake Mountain then back down and across to Warburton (Marysville/Woods Point road then take the right turn on to Woods Point/Warburton road)- this road is A1 and IMO better than the spur atm...
  4. Depending on where you're from, that's easier said than done :( Only really two main roads into Marysville if you're coming from 'below' it, Black Spur + Reefton Spur.

You could give Acheron Way a go... There's a pretty big section of gravel though (some threads about it), interesting ride for the scenery though and once you hit the sealed it's absolutely dead (saw 1 bike, 2 cars when I did it) and good quality road. At the time I was ](*,) for not realising it was unsealed, but I'd probably give it a crack again (just make sure you factor in the extra trip time)
  5. I dont have a clue on how to get to those places. Only ones I know are the spur and great ocean road.
    I normally need someone to show me a few times before I remember how to get there.
    I only just woke as well so too late for me to go oh well... heheh
  6. Google Maps my friend - eg. if you were do to Acheron Way + Reefton...
  7. It wont take long for everything to settle into place. The logging trucks will take care of it.
  8. I hope so - swathes of loose gravel and not a tractor or bobcat broom in sight...
  9. It's ridiculous isn't it? They do the same thing in the Reefton, they just leave it there for the trucks and traffic to do their work for them. I'm surprised there aren't complaints about the stone chip damage it causes.

What is truly laughable, is they'll bang on all day long about our safety, and then kid themselves that this isn't dangerous. Or they'll plonk a couple of signs up and put the onus back on us. Wankers.
  10. Agreed, Chef...
  11. contact vicroads if you've been up there and think the gravel is dangerous then. or the local (yarra) council. i'm not sure which is responsible for the roadworks, but i do know they have to listen to you and get back to you.

who knows, they might even send a street sweeper up there or something ;)
  12. I can use google maps but its just remembering the way after I've left the house

It's my memory.
  13. Just got back from the spur an hour or so go, road is clean as a whistle between Healesville and Fernshaw picnic ground, no gravel around at all, so youcan still have a good run on the lower section
  14. Ride out the Maroondah Hwy, turn right just after Lilydale for Warburton and the Reefton Spur, go straight ahead for the Blackspur through Healesville',
    Could no be simpler.
  15. Acheron Way is mainly a gravel track so I don't suggest taking it on on a sports bike if in a hurry 8-[
  16. Coming from the north, you've got 14.5 km of bloody fantastic twisty sealed logging road, then 13 km of dirt until you reach the sealed Mount Donna Buang Rd. It's worth toughing it out, makes a great ride. Taking a road bike with BT-45s through the dirt section during winter is a completely different matter ...