Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Black liquid(?) from exhaust

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Toefa, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Not too sure if this is a problem... n00b

When at home, i park my CBR250RR (1996 model) near a wall which the exhaust is about 100mm away from, when i have warmed the bike up there in the past it has sprayed black liquid all over the place. (nice on a bright orange wall :shock: )

Today, went to leave work, started the bike, put my hand in front of the 'zorst and got this black crap all over my hands. Unfortunatley i wiped it off before having a whiff to see if it was petrol or water?

Do you guys know if this is common with bikes/this type of bike? Or could it be that a cyclinder is not firing? Could it just be because i warm it up for a minute or so with the choke on?

Thanks in advance
  2. That's normal, usually just condensate in teh exhaust, mixed with carbon/soot.
  3. Yup. Perfectly normal.

A good thrashing will temporarily improve matters.

Had a CZ whose pipes would fill with an evil mixture of unburned 2-stroke oil, soot and condensate if you spent much time pootling around town in winter. Looked like black porridge. Then I discovered that the least messy way of clearing it out was to go for a long blast in the country. At it's best I could blanket three counties in thick blue smoke before it all burned out :oops: .
  4. Sweet... what a relief :applause:

Thanks very much guys. I was concerned because i had a Subaru Liberty once that had moisture coming out of the exhaust and it turned out to be cracked head gaskets :eek:hno:

Thanks for the help !

5. Its pretty normal. I only found it to have it with the choke being on but if its off its ok. I also seem to smell petrol when the choke is on.