Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Black helmets - too hot?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Garido, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Looking to buy a new helmet that better fits the colour scheme of my bike (current helmet is maroon in colour). Any experience with black helmets? Do they get hotter inside during summer, compared to a light coloured helmet?

2. my current shoei XR1100 is black and its no hotter than my previous white shoei or shark
    it does have more vents than my other helmets tho
  3. Ditto my last 2 have been black and I reckon no hotter than any other I've had
  4. Thanks guys!
  5. There's a thick layer of insulation between the outer shell and your head. I doubt if shell colour makes more than a poofteenth of difference to interior temp.
  6. my predominantly black shoei is much cooler than my predominantly white rjays, but as mentioned, vents make a YOOOOOJ difference
  7. never noticed any diference based on colours, but i would asssume matt black surfaces absorb heat moreso, so would probably avoid.
    when it hits the forties, not unlike riding around with a microwave oven on your head. i don't think colours will make any significant diference anyway. roasted is roasted.
  8. open face
  9. If you are robbing a bank in summer, black helmet probably not for you.
    Riding a bike real world though, black helmet is no hotter then any others for windflow. As MT1 says when it gets hot enough, roasted is roasted, and then its time to wear an open faced helmet and squid.
  10. 'poofteenth' made me spill my coffee. Thanks.
  11. Didn't some university do a study recently about what colours were best at reflecting heat, and found negligible differences between em all, ie colour does not matter?
  12. i have a matte black shoei xr1100 and never notice my head getting hot.