Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Black Dog Ride-The Red Centre 2012

Discussion in 'NSW' started by Kim Rodger, May 26, 2012.

1. updated sponsor me linkIf I have posted this in the wrong section, I'm terribly sorry, so please move to a more appropriate place.

Hi Everyone,

I’d like to share this journey I am embarking on for the Black Dog Institute raising awareness and hopefully much needed funds towards Depression and Bipolar Disease.

This cause is close to my heart especially after losing my best friend of 21 years to the Black Dog (depression) and having family members bitten by the dog.

The ride to the Red Centre – Alice Springs has been conducted for the past three years by the founder Steve Andrews. Over the years the ride has grown and in 2011 over 220 bikes attended to bring awareness to depression.

I will be leaving Sydney on August 18th 2012 with my “Winston” (the Black Dog mascot) in full view, along with hopefully many more from Hills Motorcycles, Castle Hill.

For more information about the Black Dog Ride click here: http://www.blackdogride.com.au/ . We are travelling through some lovely parts of the country and stopping in Tamworth, Nyngan, Broken Hill, Port Augusta, Coober Pedy and then Alice Springs on some roads that I’ve never travelled before and no doubt I will have the opportunity to see some of our countries best scenery.

The Black Dog Institute website contains valuable information and is eye opening reading. If you have the time take a look http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/ you might know someone that may need a little help.

I am fundraising for the cause and have created a “Sponsor Me” page connected to the Black Dog Ride. All funds go to the Black Dog Institute and donations over $2 are tax deductible. If you’d like to help me reach my goal and help the Black Dog Institute please click the link here http://www.everydayhero.com.au/kim_rodger and follow the prompts

Thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully you can support me in this cause.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Unfortunately I will be doing the opposite on that weekend. I will be heading down to melbourne.
  3. The donations link has just been updated to run through Everyday Hero. My current fundraising efforts sit at $1470 and my goal is $3000. The new link will be updated next week to show the funds already received against the fund-o-meter.

I've updated the "spnsor me" link in the original post but here's the link JIC http://www.everydayhero.com.au/kim_rodger

Thanks again everyone for getting behind me on this one.

That's OK spottedninja - you can help in other ways.
  4. Hi Everyone,

Here's an update for you. I did an Oxley trip last weekend completely kitted out - panniers, topbox, Winston & me (not a bad effort since it's been 12 weeks off the bike), with some friends. It all went really well - thank goodness. A few emotional moments along the way but when you have great friends and support you can get through it all.

Now for the fund raising. I was initially only going to aim for $1000, then a lady at work said aim a bit higher go $3000, so I did. Well the good news is, I've smashed the $3000 and have increased my goal to $4000 (currently sitting on $3800). So from me a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone that has donated and for your support - YOU have helped make a difference.

I know this cause will touch more than one of you here as it touches me too. So I want you all to share my journey day by day, that is the good, the bad and the ugly moments. To do this I now have a website (yep who'd have thunk it) thanks to a friend and you can following me here:

5. Wow.. go Kimmie

I've just signed up myself so I'll see you on the trip somewhere as I will be leaving from Melbourne and going all the way. I also have a donation page but won't put it up here to take it away from you :D

It's for a great cause and I'm really looking forward to my first BDR
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks great Neilo.
    Make sure you enquire to find me, there are a few who know me (inparticular the Ride Co-ordinators from both ACT & QLD).

My bike is also pretty distinctive - the only WHITE Blackbird, so I won't be hard to spot.

I'll ask about you also and look forward to meeting you.

7. Hi Kim,
    I'm highly likely to be a day rider from Castle Hill to Tamworth. My Mum lives there, so two birds one stone.
  8. Excellent Tony.
    See you in Castle Hill then.
  9. cool Kimmie
    Look out for me on the red Triumph Tiger :) See you on the road
  10. 10 days to go……and I head out of Sydney with a hoard of others bound for Alice Springs for the Black Dog Institute, raising awareness for Depression and mental illness and hopefully much needed funds.

THANK YOU to all that have donated so far. With your generous support I have now increased my limit to $5000 and am now sitting at $4420……..so come on, if you’ve been thinking you should contribute but haven’t yet click here http://www.everydayhero.com.au/kim_rodger . A small donation of $2, less than the cost of a cuppa coffee is the start to making a difference in someone’s life.

So, I’ve been busy updating my ride plan (to & from Alice), booked all my accommodation and I even have a ride buddy to travel home with (yes, I can see your smiles and understood your concerns of me travelling home on my own).

Packing in advance, Karl says pift but me I’ve gotta do it…..everything has it’s place. What I’ve learnt this weekend is that I had my packing well a little squewiff. Have re-jigged the distribution now and fingers crossed all is good. Karl has also stiffened the pre-load to help with the extra weight, just need to test it out now.

To find out about the Black Dog Institute you can read more here http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/index.cfm
    Thanks for reading.
  11. Hope you've packed your thermals....first few days are going to be a little brisk!
  12. Don't leave home without 'em Miraz.

Had a NSW meet & greet this afternoon. Met a bunch of nice people.
    To date there are 110 registered bikes leaving for the first day of riding. Of that 78 riders are going all the way to Alice Springs. Pretty awesome!!
  13. Congratulations Kimmy, great effort in the fundraising (I'll check your page and chuck some money in). Have a great and safe trip. Will have a drink with you at Renmark, my shout.
  14. Thanks Ed and yep see you in renamrk.

Well I'm home now, safe and sound - arrived yesterday.

Travelled 7229.4 kays in 13 days of a journey I'll never forget.

Keep reading the blog the final days are now up. Hope you enjoy the read as much as I enjoyed the trip.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Big ride little lady!

Edit: and I saw you on TV, waved, but you didn't wave back :)

Very proud of you!
  16. Good to have you home & safe Kimmie - mission accomplished - we're all proud of you!! :)
  17. Nice to hear you're back safely Kimmie. Maybe next year I'll be able to do more than just the first day!
  18. Thanks Dean, Ricky & Tone.

Yeah, TV who'd have thunked it, hey. It's not as easy as it looks though being on call. The cameramen Travis & Ollie were fabulous, they would come and chat to us and give us the heads up as to when we would be on the box so we could let our families know (justa shame I didn't have reception for most of those times). Also someone who I was pleased to meet was Simon Bouda (CH9 news reporter), what a lovely man. He would come and chat, even joined us for afternoon tea and a real genuine nice bloke....good for a hug too.