Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bizzare fuel tap problem

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by thecptn, Apr 10, 2006.

1. A few weeks ago, I was having problems with my bike, took it to the mechanic, he couldn't find any thing wrong with it and didn't charge me, problem was this mysterious vacuum problem to the fuel tap, where it would fart about and miss, after getting it back from him, it all disappeared, which is good news, how ever, a very strange behavior started to occur, and I just noticed yesterday, I ran my bike up to 260km on the main fuel, which is very, very odd, because by now, it would of coughed about and ran out of fuel unless I switched to reserve, in fact, I should of switched to reserve, at 230km at most, so when I filled my bike, it showed I filled up at 9.15 L, which is odd...since I have a 9.5L tank.

So how is sweet bloody hell, did my bike run on the main fuel setting...when technicaly, that section of the fuel tank is bone dry!? its like it is both running on reserve and main at the same time, think of that episode of the Simpson's, where homer goes to the duff factory and there are 3 types of beer, yet they are being filled by the same pipe.

Any ideas what is going on? prime, main and reserve all run with no hassles...so I am quite stumped.

2. I'd say the mechanic has managed to get the tap mechanism or knob on 180 degrees out of phase. You not on main, rather reserve or prime. Lucky you didn't run it dry.

3. Hmmmm..maybe this is a virago problem.
    I got my bike in Jan and the reserve was working fine!
    Now, 3 months later I too notice its not kicking in when I thought it should have..and Im filling up and putting in over 9 ltrs..just like you are.

4. I remember seeing someone else post that whether they had the tap set to Main or reserve the tank ran to the bottom.

It might be posible your tap is drawing from both input valves.