Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bit of Electrical Fiddling

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ljiljan, Apr 14, 2010.

1. I recently got a new LG phone. Turns out that I'm not at all impressed with the in-line mic they provided, my old Ericsson had a much better one. I'm wondering if it's possible to swap mics, the new for the old? chop the leads and add a bit of solder?

Will this make it clearer or would the volume issue be a firmware problem rather than a mic hardware problem?

2. Are you serious???
    Is it the mic that is the real problem? Or the amp? Or the shape of the case around the mic? Or the firmware that handles noise cancelation or … … …
    There are to many variables to consider that a mic swap will necessarily do anything
  3. cheers mate. Yeh, don't know which. guess its not really worth it.
  4. Sorry for putting it so bluntly, but it just is a scary prospect to take a soldering iron to something like a phone as an experiment With that many variables.
  5. It's just a phone. Go ahead and do it and report back to us. ;)
  6. Oh, right. It's not the phone, but the handsfree unit. sorry, didn't explain that.
  7. As in the bit you clip to your shirt with built in mic?

If I were you instead of soldering the other mic in, why not just cut n swap your LG plug onto the end of the Ericsson cord?

8. yeh that bit
    I think that's what I said I was going to do, just a bit further up the wires. At least it's what I meant to say.
  9. Oh righto, I thought you meant opening up the little black box and swapping the actual microphone bit inside

My bad, and yeah go for it.. I don't see why it wouldn't work
  10. Ahhh sorry I read it as the phone…
    Yeah swap the plugs if you are going to give it a go.
    But those wires they use a very fine. You are going to have to do some precision work.
    Take pics and show us how it goes.