Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

bit depressed...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by edgelett, Feb 1, 2006.

1. I'm sure none of you are interested but I just need to vent...

My band's bass player that we thought was awesome, quit on Monday night.

While some of you may be thinking "well that sucks, get another one" I'm afraid you don't understand. Adelaide is a SMALL place. not a huge selection of bass players to choose from.

our unnamed band has been together for a year & haven't done 1 gig yet. Why? well first we spent a couple of months finding a singer. Got one, started to write tunes for a few of months. Then our bass player quit. THen we spent 3 months looking for a bass player. Got one, tried to write more tunes but practice was always cancelled cause our bass player always had something come up 10 mins before he was meant to be at my house for practice. We had about 7 jams with him. Then he rang monday, 1/2 an hour before band practice, & quit. Said he was selling all his gear. we don't believe him.

anyway we all said "Ok let's have a few days to think about what we want to do". All I can think is "Man, we worked for a YEAR and have nothing to show for it. I don't want to spend another 3 months looking for a bass player."

I just got off the phone from our drummer, who is a very close friend of mine. He said "sorry mate, I just can't be stuffed spending another 3 months looking for a bass player. You live over an hour away, it's a long way to drive only to find out that there's no practice. I just can't do this anymore. We'll catch up for a jam once in a while, but I'm going to join a cover band."

Haven't spoken to the singer today yet, but I know that if the drummer's not in, he won't be either.

It's just a shame to waste all those songs.

I don't know if I want to play music anymore though. tony made me promise I wouldn't start selling all my gear but I just don't want to even go in the band room.

Been in two other original bands before, both of whom got to the stage where we had recorded EP's for release. Just don't know if I want to go through this crap again.

anyway thanks for letting me vent.

2. Ah, bands... The perfect example of creative collaboration. So many factors need to come together for something to be even slightly successful, and so many more need to fall in place before you get one that lasts.

Everyone's got their own priorities and no reason to stay if they feel their needs aren't being met.

F*ck it, if your'e the guitarist or the keyboardist, work solely with the singer. Write tunes, arrange them and start recording them. You can do bass, it's a piece of piss, and use a drum machine. Then get better bassists and live drums in to finish the tracks.

(Edit: if you need a session drummer to cap off your recordings I've got plenty of experience, send the pro-tools tracks over to me and I'll finish them off)

Once you've got 10 songs that are half decently recorded, forward those to pubs and organise a live gig in 4-6 weeks' time.

Believe me, you'll be able to get players in and work up a live show if you've already got things happening. It's all about having somebody who's willing to do all the tough work to make the show happen - people will fall in around and behind you if your vision is strong enough.

3. Edgelett
    Hunny don't give up your Passion just because others have thrown in the towel so to speak.

you had your passion for many years and played for many years Before they came along ?
    well then hold your head up and stand proud and think HEY i am the one with the Band Room >how many do You know have their OWN band room ?not many i would say,play your songs and write more,even write down what you are feeling Right Now !! play them to your self,You have a very special talent Please do not waste it, in time people will come to you asking You to Join them,play a few gig's in a pub or club by your self get YOU known forget them for now,You CAN DO THIS remember head up stand tall BELIEVE in Yourself ...

4. I agree with everyone else. My friends band was goign really well for a while, stacks of gigs. Then one guitarist started being a real Ars**ole, his attitiude & one gig he couldn't hear himself so he just strated plunking and smashing down on the strings. The band went down hill from there.

A couple of months later they all got back together excpet for that tool. Anyway keep your head up, keep practising and something good will come your way. :grin:

5. Hey Tash, it's YOUR band. If no-one else wants to play, take up Loz's offer and collaborate. If you've got good songs and you can't get them recorded, sell them to someone who will. A band is nothing without a good songwriter.....

6. Try recording an EP in November 2004 and not getting it released until February 2006!!!

My band has been through 5 drummers in as many years including doing 9 months as and 'acoustic' act because we couldn't find a decent drummer...

I've been in 3 bands now, done over 100 gigs in the last 5 or so years, and all the way through we've been plagued by line up problems.

All's I can say is that if you truly worship the Gods of Rock, then someone will come through for you.

Maybe if you say a prayer to one of the Rock Gods, they might be able to help you...

7. I've been in bands for 21 years.

Reception, cabaret, blues, fusion, orginals and straightout rock 40 covers.

A band is the ultimate mismatched marriage of individuals... especially if it's an originals thing because you all have to share the same creative vision... unless it's one vision and 4 session musos!

I think Loz has it right... if it's your music and your vision get that happening. Once you have a product and a promise to prospective musos that rehearsals will be minimised, I think a band will form quickly.

Don't lose heart!

8. tell the drummer to hang in there 3 months isnt long , christ you might play for 5 years and not become famous .
    how do you expect to become famous and be able smash up hotel rooms and bite the heads of chickens unless he hangs around for the 3 months and gets a bass player .

ever thought of teaching someone the bass guitar ? you could do that in 1 month .

9. I agree with the others. Hang in there Mate. I wish I had some talent in that area. :wink:

10. Hey edgelett,
    I know how it feels when everything you have strived for and a dream that you have pinned all your hopes on, just falls apart. Just hang in there, there is a reason to why these things happen, you just cannot see it yet.

Have faith, you can still make it happen. Never give up :grin:

11. What about teaching and normal Guitarist to play Bass. Your already 2/3 rds of the way there. Its similar just 2 less strings to play/ worry about. If you weren't in Adelaide I woudl offer to play.

12. thanks for all the words of support.

spoke to the singer today - he said "well if Brent's not in, that's it then. I'll come & pick my stuff up soon."
    So that's it - no more band.

Collaborating online is a good idea, i'm not really a lyrics person though. I write music & SOME lyrics but I need a singer cause I suck.

so for now I'm going to have a break from it all.

maybe in a couple of months I'll be up to it again.

thanks everyone

13. I will let you in on a little secret edgelett. There would not be one succesfull muso, songwriter, singer out there. That had it handed to them on a silver plater. If you have confidence in your self & you want to succeed. Hang in there kid.
    As you can see. Anytime you need a little encouragment.
    Just ask those on Netrider. What d ya recon.

14. I don't know... All of this drama just sounds like the first five minutes from a "Behind the Music" episode. :LOL:

15. lol I guess it does!!

I know - a nice ride in the hills will cheer me up!

16. Do not let anything stop you doing something that you love. Anything or Anybody. :) Life is too be enjoyed not endured

17. Hey Tash, just a thought, but my gf sings and writes lyrics... Lemme know next time you come to coffee and I'll force her out with me, she loves talking music.....

18. :roll:

Yeah, it must be a piece of piss...just 'cause it's got less strings right?

OK, so you might be able to play some root eighth notes if you play guitar, but saying really playing bass is is a piece of piss is just bullshit, and an absolute insult to bassists who spend years refining their skills on the instrument.

:evil:

Look at some of history's great bass players......Duck Dunn, Jaco, Stanley Clarke.......(to name only three)

piece of piss? :roll:

That's just like me saying Drums are a piece of piss 'cause I can play a basic rock beat, or guitar is a piece of piss 'cause I can play rhythm on a few three chord specials.

How 'bout a little respect?

....edgelett, sorry to hear about the band.

FWIW I think it sounds like the bass player didn't have any real commitment and you're better off without him.

Give it a rest, and then look for someone else.

Don't think about it as a year wasted. Retain everything you've developed and keep working on it in the meantime. Find some dedicated band members, and enjoy. Above all, get out there and have fun with it. :)

;)

19. :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

A pox on all who believe the bass just a guitar with 2 less strings...

I like to see ANYONE play any of the bass lines from Blood Sugar Sex Magic on a guitar.

20. Nah it's just that Bass players are so easy to stir up... Damn glorified roadies if u ask me :p :LOL: :LOL: :p

J/k guys j/k