Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bit confused about LAMS in Tas

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ilovemynsr150sp, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Hey fellow netriders, i am a bit confused on how long i have top keep my ps for here in tasmania and what bikes i am allowed to ride during that period. i found this on the service tas site:
    I will be 17 at the time i can get my ps so if i understand it right i have to keep them for 3 years?? Will i be stuck on LAMS bikes for that whole period of time? Thanks in advance for your help and comments!

2. It looks that way. Perhaps a compromise introduced when the LAMS system came in (ie, a longer period on a faster bike)?.
  3. Yep. Fortunately you can go pretty fast on a carefully chosen LAMS bike. And what's the penalty for being over-capacity? However, this sort of discriminatory legislation (how about a five year wait for your Tubro Skyline, blocky-boy?) sucks hard.
  4. Look on the bright side at least you get to ride a LAMS bike for those 3 years. Back when i did my L's and P's (23 and im starting to feel old :eek: ) you were restricted to a 250cc for the 3 years. Im not sure everyone followed that rule though. I just left my bike parked in the shed for 4 years instead...
  5. Hey thanks for your replies. That seemed to clear some confusion. I am actually quite happy with the LAMS system and think its a great idea. I dont need a fast bike, i just thought i should ask to make some plans on saving up for a bigger bike when i have my ps. Thanks again! :)
  6. Sounds to me like you only need to be on a LAMS bike for 12 months. The additional restrictions for not having a full car license say nothing about staying on LAMS for the whole P plate period. Note the LAMS restrictions for one year are applicable to all riders regardless of full car license.
  7. Yeah you only have to ride a shitter for 1.5 years (min 6 months on L's then first year on P's) after that you can ride whatever you want.
  8. I agree with the last two posts, you only need to stay on the LAMS bike for the first 12 months after progressing from a Learner Licence. I think it was the same with the 250cc restriction too. Yes there are some decent LAMS bikes out there though. I took a Honda XL650V (Transalp) for a test ride a couple of Sundays ago. Seriously looking into a second hand one now. Not right up there in the performance stakes but a great all round go anywhere tourer.